C.P. Bottomley Park integrated project - Norman Park
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise that the main construction works at C.P. Bottomley Park in Norman Park are complete.
This work is part of Council's commitment to building infrastructure for the future while protecting our unique lifestyle, local greenspace, and parks.
The project will improve the safety of the playing surfaces to the park by upgrading the existing stormwater infrastructure, repairing the landfill cap, and reinstating playing fields, including the related sports assets and the small community playground affected by the construction works.
|Park||C.P. Bottomley Park|
|Address||31 Halifax Street, Norman Park|
|Project outcomes||Replaced drainage and irrigation infrastructure, upgraded the landfill cap, regraded and reinstated the impacted sports fields to ensure the safe, ongoing use of the greenspaces by the community and local sporting clubs.|
About the project
C.P. Bottomley Park was historically used as a landfill site in the 1950s and 1960s. After the landfill ceased, the site was established as a community sports field.
Over the years, Council has completed works on the C.P. Bottomley Park sports fields to address sunken areas that have occurred as a result of collapsed stormwater drainage and the natural settling of landfilled materials. This project aims to rectify the subsidence issues and ensure the ongoing and safe use of the sports fields by local sporting groups and the broader community.
The following works have been completed:
- replacing underground collapsed stormwater infrastructure with a new, larger diameter of stormwater pipe that runs from Halifax Street under the playground area, under fields two and three, and into the existing drainage system next to Crown Street
- installing new stormwater manholes and chambers
- providing connection points for the field drainage
- moving the existing gas main near Crown Street to construct a new stormwater chamber
- compacting the surface under northern fields in areas experiencing voids
- clay capping the existing landfill across the northern fields
- regrading the sports fields and installing field drainage and new field inlets
- moving electrical cables from the impacted area.
- installing topsoil in accordance with the sports field profile
- reinstating electrical conduits and cables to the floodlights
- installing the new field irrigation system and stormwater storage tank
- installing, establishing, and maintaining new turf
- reinstating the sporting infrastructure
- a new playground for all ages
- reinstating the Halifax Street car park by replacing missing bollards,
- make good works the existing surface, and completing minor corrective works.
The sporting fields will remain closed until late December 2022, as turf establishment and maintenance of the fields is undertaken, weather and site conditions permitting.
If you would like to find out more about the C.P. Bottomley Park integrated works project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
C.P. Bottomley Park integrated project team
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.