Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road Intersection upgrade - Fig Tree Pocket
Brisbane City Council is progressing the design for the upgrade to the Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection in Fig Tree Pocket. This intersection was identified as requiring an upgrade to improve safety, congestion and traffic efficiency for all road users.
|Address||Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection, Fig Tree Pocket|
|Project outcomes||Improve traffic flow and safety for all road users|
About the project
Brisbane City Council is planning to upgrade the Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection in Fig Tree Pocket to improve the overall efficiency of the intersection and safety for all users. Council has undertaken extensive investigations to determine the preferred design option.
The intersection accommodates approximately 21,000 vehicles, 20 cyclists and 100 pedestrians daily, making it an important junction in Brisbane’s suburban road network. Current traffic queues are extending for over 100 metres along the south-eastern leg of Fig Tree Pocket Road at peak times.
Between April 2015 and April 2021 there were three crashes recorded at the intersection, all of which required hospitalisation or medical treatment. These incidents were a result of motorists being unable to make a safe right turn at Fig Tree Pocket Road due to the high traffic volumes.
There are a number of constraints which impact the potential design of this upgrade, including the topography of the area, private property boundaries as well as the locations of significant drainage infrastructure.
The project will involve:
- installing traffic lights and realigning the intersection to a four-way intersection with Kenmore Road, Fig Tree Pocket Road and Errogie Place
- providing fully controlled crossing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists
- implementing a dedicated right-turn lane and one additional through lane on Kenmore Road on the south-west approach to the intersection
- implementing a dedicated right-turn lane from the northern leg of Fig Tree Pocket into Errogie Place
- upgrading the current left-in and left-out at Errogie Place to full access
- relocating the outbound bus stop (#37) from the northern leg to the south-eastern leg of Fig Tree Pocket Road (approximately 100m away)
- constructing new traffic islands and centre medians
- undertaking works to the existing conduit to improve drainage in the area
- completing new road surfacing, line marking, landscaping and turfing.
Improve safety for all road users by installing traffic lights and signalised pedestrian crossing facilities
Improve travel time reliability and overall operation of intersection
Improve pedestrian connectivity to public transport and residential areas.
Council is committed to keeping the community informed about the project. Information sessions were held on 3 September at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, and on 28 October 2021 at the Indooroopilly Shopping Centre.
- Mid-2022 – design and planning
- Mid-2023 – start of construction
- Mid-2024 – end of construction.
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project artist impression (PDF - 815kb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project artist impression (Word - 2.34Mb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project plan (PDF - 3Mb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project plan (Word - 2.69Mb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - August 2022 (PDF - 3.32Mb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - August 2022 (Word - 917kb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - October 2021 (PDF - 883kb)
- Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - October 2021 (Word - 1.4Mb)
If you would like to ask questions or provide feedback about the Fig Tree Pocket Road and Kenmore Road intersection upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (business hours)
- phone 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- write to:
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.