Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade - Rochedale
Artist impression: new seating area at the Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the intersection at Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road in Rochedale. This project will improve overall intersection operation and safety for all road users as well as ensure it can cater for future traffic demands.
Improve road safety and reduce congestion
Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road, Rochedale
The Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection is currently a single lane roundabout located on the boundary of the Brisbane City Council Local Government Area (LGA) and the Logan City Council LGA.
The intersection carries approximately 19,200 vehicles daily and road users often experience congestion during peak hour traffic, particularly at school drop-off and pick-up times. The high volume of traffic and turning movements through the intersection along with a lack of safe crossing points makes it difficult for pedestrians to cross at the roundabout.
As the surrounding suburbs continue to grow, traffic demand through the intersection is expected to increase.
The Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade is jointly funded by the Australian Government as part of the Urban Congestion Fund program, Brisbane City Council as part of the Better Roads for Brisbane program, and Logan City Council as part of the Major Roads Upgrade program.
You can also watch this video on Council's YouTube account.
The upgrade will involve:
- removing the existing roundabout and installing traffic lights with signalised pedestrian crossings on all approaches to the intersection
- widening Rochedale Road to four lanes through the intersection
- installing dedicated turning lanes on all approaches to the intersection
- installing a U-turn facility on the Rochedale Road northern approach to the intersection
- installing off-road shared paths and on-road cycle lanes through the intersection
- removing the existing zebra crossing south of the intersection on Rochedale Road and the un-signalised crossings east and west of the intersection on Priestdale Road
- converting the intersection of Rochedale Road and Netherby Street to left-in and left-out only
- removing approximately seven formal on-street parking spaces and 29 informal on-street parking spaces to ensure all road users can travel safely and efficiently through the intersection.
Based on community feedback received in early 2021, the project design was updated to include:
- an alternate access driveway into the Rochedale Markets on Priestdale Road for eastbound traffic
- a right turn lane on Rochedale Road into the Rochedale Markets for northbound traffic. This turning lane will also provide a U-turn facility.
Service relocation works
While initial works for service relocations commenced in late 2021, additional works will continue throughout 2022. This will involve the relocation of public utility services including Telstra, NBN and Optus.
Works to upgrade the stormwater drainage within the project footprint will commence in early 2022. These works will include constructing new kerb and channel to help improve the overall drainage in the project area.
In order to install the new drainage infrastructure, the project team will need to trench various locations in the project site area.
What to expect
During the works, residents and businesses near the intersection may at times experience:
- increased noise
- truck movements
- vibration and dust
- light from mobile light towers (during night works).
Council will make every effort to minimise impacts to the local community.
Changes to the road configuration
To minimise impacts to road users, the permanent roundabout will be replaced by a temporary roundabout. The temporary roundabout will be constructed using bollards and bunting so that its location can be adjusted. Motorists will notice that the roundabout will move throughout construction of the project, allowing the project team to construct the road around it.
To safely deliver the intersection upgrade, there may be times when lane closures are required. For the duration of works, the speed limit will be reduced to 40km/h to ensure the safety of workers and road users. Signage and traffic control will be in place to direct people driving, riding and walking through the area while works are underway.
To facilitate the intersection upgrade, some additional trees will need to be removed within the project footprint.
Council will replant more than 145 native street trees as part of the project. At completion of the project, more than 2000 plants will have been planted within the project area.
The majority of construction works will be undertaken during the day and will take place between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday. To minimise impacts on local residents, educational facilities and businesses, some night works will be required. These will generally take place between 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Thursday, when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of motorists and workers and to minimise traffic disruptions. Council will provide advance notice of any out-of-hours works.
Bus stop relocation
As part of the upgrade, bus stop #010908, located outside Redeemer Lutheran College, Rochedale Road is being reconstructed to facilitate school bus parking.
Works will relocate the informal school bus stop parking area (currently south of Redeemer Lutheran College) to combine it with the existing formal bus stop (#010908) in front of Redeemer Lutheran College. Additionally, the reconstructed bus stop zone will be extended by approximately 60 metres to the north.
- Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - Start of construction - February 2022 (PDF - 843kb)
- Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - Start of construction - February 2022 (Word - 23Mb)
- Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - October 2021 (PDF - 1.09Mb)
- Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - October 2021 (Word - 1.09Mb)
- Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - September 2020 (PDF - 4.71Mb)
- Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project newsletter - September 2020 (Word - 1.4Mb).
Brisbane Metro depot
Brisbane Metro depot
Gardner Road extension
Gardner Road extension
Design for the Gardner Road extension from Underwood Road to Priestdale Road is well advanced, with detailed planning identifying the project will be completed by early 2024.
Brisbane City Council will be managing the delivery of the project during all phases. If you have any questions about the Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- email the project team
- write to:
Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.