Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade - Rochedale
Brisbane City Council is planning an upgrade of the Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection in Rochedale. This project is being delivered to improve safety, reduce congestions and provide dedicated signalised pedestrian crossing facilities.
|Address||Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road, Rochedale|
|Project outcomes||Improve road safety and reduce congestion|
Preliminary design released
About the project
The Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection is currently a single lane roundabout located on the boundary of the Brisbane City Council Local Government Area (LGA) and the Logan City Council LGA.
The intersection carries approximately 19,200 vehicles daily and road users often experience congestion during peak hours, particularly at school drop-off and pick-up times. This makes it difficult for pedestrians to cross at the roundabout due to high traffic volumes and lack of safe crossing points in the area.
As the surrounding suburbs continue to grow, traffic demand through the intersection is expected to increase.
The Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade is jointly funded by Brisbane City Council as part of the Better Roads for Brisbane program, the Australian Government as part of the Urban Congestion Fund program and Logan City Council as part of the Major Roads Upgrade program.
Upgrading the intersection will involve:
- installing traffic signals
- creating four through lanes on Rochedale Road
- installing double right turn lanes for westbound traffic on Priestdale Road turning north onto Rochedale Road constructing off-road paths, bicycle lanes and prioritised pedestrian crossings on all approaches to the intersection
- constructing left turn lanes on all approaches to the intersection
- installing a U-turn facility at the northern section, providing motorists with a turning facility.
- removing the existing zebra crossing south of the intersection on Rochedale Road and the un-signalised crossings east and west of the intersection on Priestdale Road
- converting the intersection of Rochedale Road and Netherby Street intersection to left-in and left-out only
- removing approximately seven formal on-street parking spaces and 29 informal on-street parking spaces will be removed to ensure all road users can travel safely and efficiently through the intersection
Some trees will need to be removed in the area surrounding the intersection, most of which are within the Brisbane City Council LGA. All trees removed will be offset and where possible, replanting will occur within the project area. All replanting will be undertaken in accordance with Brisbane City Council’s policies and legislative requirements. The project team will confirm landscaping details as the project design progresses.
- Early 2021 – detailed design
- Mid-2021– start of construction
- Late 2022 – end of construction
Council is committed to keeping the community informed and will continue to communicate any investigation works required to assist in finalising the project design and provide advance notification of the start of construction.
Brisbane City Council will be managing the delivery of the project during all phases. If you have any questions about the Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- email the project team
- write to:
Rochedale Road and Priestdale Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.