Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee
Brisbane City Council charges a Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee of $195.20 including GST (valid from 1 July 2020) to establish a new rate account when a property transfers ownership.
The Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee is included on the new owner's first rate account after the Queensland Government's Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy advises Council of the change of ownership.
It is payable within 30 days after the account is issued.
A part-fee is payable when a purchaser buys a share of the property.
You can apply for exemption from the Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee when:
- you buy your first home and live in it OR you buy your first block of land and build and occupy a home on the land for at least six months within 12 months of the title transfer date (only applies to title transfers before 1 October 2019)
- you change your name because you marry
- you transfer to or include a spouse/de facto/partner on the title as a result of an amalgamation or separation of assets on the principal place of residence (applies to first home buyers only)
- the property goes to surviving joint tenant/s on the death of other joint tenant/s
- there is a transfer of ownership where no money is exchanged
- there is a transfer as a result of a gift or through natural love and affection
- there is a transfer by consent/direction of a Court
- it is pursuant to a will intestacy – this occurs when ownership transfer was not made clear in a deceased owner's will
- there is a transfer from a long-term lease to occupancy of a unit for the life of the person (freehold interest) – applies to residents of retirement villages registered with the Department of Justice and Attorney-General.
To apply for exemption, fill in the online form. If you are an eligible first home owner, you can also apply for a First Home Owner Rebate of 50% up to $1000 over a 12 month period. From 1 October 2020, eligible first home buyers who buy or build a new home can receive a 100% rebate of up to $2000.
The following are not exempt from payment of the Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee:
- a purchase of vacant land that is not the first block of land purchased and/or a home is not built and occupied within 12 months
- a purchase made in the name of a trust
- a purchase made in the name of a company.
You have 12 months from the title transfer date to apply for an exemption.