Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee
Brisbane City Council charges a Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee of $299.00 including GST to establish a new rate account when a property transfers ownership.
The fee is included on the new owner's first rate account after the Queensland Government's Department of Resources advises Council of the change of ownership.
It is payable within 30 days after the account is issued.
A part-fee is payable when a purchaser buys a share of the property.
You can apply for exemption for the Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee if:
it is your first home in Australia, the owner is living in it and:
- all owners are at least 18 years of age
- at least one owner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- none of the owners have previously owned a home in Australia
- the purchase price (including house and land) was less than $750,000.
Or, there is a:
- change of name on title as a result of marriage
- transfer to, or inclusion of a spouse/de facto/partner as a result of an amalgamation or separation of assets on the principle place of residence
- transmission to surviving joint tenant/s on death or another joint tenant/s
- transfer where no money is exchanged
- transfer as a result of a gift or through natural love and affection
- transfer by consent/direction of a Court
- pursuant to a will or intestacy, or
- transfer of occupancy from long term leases to freehold title of their units for residents of Retirement Villages registered as such with the Department of Justice and Attorney-General.
The following are not eligible for exemption from payment of the Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee:
- a purchase of vacant land
- a purchase made in the name of a trust
- a purchase made in the name of a company.
How to apply
To apply, use the online Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee Exemption Application or download the hardcopy application form (PDF - 52kb).