Brisbane's nighttime economy
Brisbane City Council has been taking action to help rebuild Brisbane’s nighttime economy by delivering initiatives under our Economic Recovery Plan, including working with the music industry to deliver the Brisbane Winter Sessions and the new free Brisbane app. Council aims to help encourage residents and visitors to discover hidden gems in their neighbourhoods and uncover local lifestyle businesses, places and experiences.
Supporting Brisbane's nighttime economy
Home to some of our most iconic places, Brisbane’s inner-city suburbs and neighbourhoods boast their own distinct personality which has allowed them to become much-loved destinations in our own backyard. From music venues to theatres, recreation to retail, our nighttime economy supports thousands of local jobs and generates millions of dollars in revenue each year.
Council is committed to growing Brisbane's nighttime economy and has been engaging with the community to:
- better understand community trends, needs and motivations for nighttime activities, events and experiences
- work with businesses to understand challenges and partnership opportunities that could strengthen the Brisbane nighttime economy
- identify opportunities that Council can consider facilitating, providing, partnering, funding, regulating and advocating toward a vibrant, diverse and sustainable nighttime economy.
In response to ongoing community feedback, Council has:
- invested in supporting nighttime events and activities and promoting these events through the What’s On in Brisbane calendar
- grown opportunities for businesses through development events
- supported the Love Brisbane campaign
- delivered ongoing safety initiatives including Public Space Liaison Officers, Audits, Citysafe Camera Network and creative lighting
- promoted events through popular channels, the Brisbane App and targeted promotion
- supported local organisations and communities to activate public spaces (particular through grant and festival funding)
- worked with the music industry to deliver events, such as Valley Fiesta and BigSound
- promoted campaigns such as Fun Things to do After Dark and tours such as the Brisbane Greeter Twilight Tours.
To find out more about what Council’s doing for Brisbane’s nighttime economy:
- email the project team
- contact Council
- write to:
Nighttime Economy, Connected Communities Branch
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.