Brisbane's nighttime economy
Brisbane City Council supports the growth of Brisbane’s nighttime economy by delivering initiatives and promoting all that the city and suburbs have to offer after dark. Council aims to help encourage residents and visitors to discover hidden gems in their neighbourhoods and uncover local lifestyle businesses, places and experiences.
Supporting Brisbane's nighttime economy
Home to some of our most iconic places, Brisbane’s inner-city suburbs and neighbourhoods boast their own distinct personality which has allowed them to become much-loved destinations in our own backyard. From music venues to theatres, recreation to retail, our nighttime economy supports thousands of local jobs and generates millions of dollars in revenue each year.
Council is committed to growing Brisbane's nighttime economy and works to:
- better understand community trends, needs and motivations for nighttime activities, events and experiences
- understand challenges for business and partnership opportunities that could strengthen the Brisbane nighttime economy
- identify opportunities that Council can consider facilitating, providing, partnering, funding, regulating and advocating toward a vibrant, diverse and sustainable nighttime economy.
What Council is doing
Council is supporting the growth of Brisbane's nighttime economy by:
- supporting nighttime events and activities and promoting these events through the What’s On in Brisbane calendar and Brisbane app
- removing or reducing permit fees for events and festivals to encourage free and affordable fun through the streamlined Events Local law 2022
- activating the city and precincts with creative lighting and supporting the installation of bud lighting in street trees in business areas to creative attractive nighttime streetscapes
- facilitating the MoreTix initiative which prompts ticket purchasers to explore additional events, accommodation, dining and unique experiences around the time of their visit
- delivering ongoing safety initiatives including Public Space Liaison Officers, safety audits and CitySafe camera network
- supporting local organisations and communities to activate public spaces, particularly through grant and festival funding
- encouraging suburban retail precincts to apply for precinct promotion and activation sponsorship to deliver events that support the nighttime economy
- working with the music industry to deliver events, such as Valley Fiesta and BigSound
- providing evening discount parking rates at King George Square and Wickham Terrace car parks, with 131,988 vehicles using the evening discount rates in 2022-23
- promoting things to do after dark around Brisbane and tours such as the Brisbane Greeters' twilight tours.
To find out more about what Council’s doing for Brisbane’s nighttime economy:
- email the project team
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- write to:
Nighttime Economy, Connected Communities Branch
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.