Approved facilities – Adopted dog registrations
As at 1 July 2019, Council has implemented a new initiative to promote the sale of desexed adopted dogs to Brisbane residents. To encourage responsible pet ownership Council is supportive of small businesses taking on this initiative and encouraging residents to source their pets from Council’s Animal Rehoming Centres, the RSPCA or an approved select Pet Shops.
By adopting an animal from an approved facility, residents will be eligible for reduced registration fees for the life of the animal providing the resident is the original owner.
Current Eligible Pet Shop
- There are currently no approved pet shops in Brisbane
Becoming an approved Facility
Businesses who wish to become an approved facility, must meet the minimum standards for animal welfare and source dogs from approved adoption facilities.
For a pet shop to be listed as an approved facility it must:
- have originally purchased the dog from Council’s Animal Rehoming Centre or a RSPCA centre;
- provide evidence of an agreement between Council’s Animal Rehoming Centre or RSPCA centre;
- the agreement must be vetted by a Council officer;
- agree to audits conducted by RSPCA and Council.
For more information, or to apply to become an approved facility, email the team or phone Council on 07 3403 8888.