BNE Local and Liveable program
BNE Local and Liveable is an activation program supporting Brisbane City Council’s commitment to creating a city of neighbourhoods. The primary purpose is to create liveable places with vibrant neighbourhood centres for the local community and visitors to enjoy.
The program delivers demonstration and pilot projects that test ideas to activate underused spaces across our city. It makes use of temporary placemaking elements including art, play opportunities, wayfinding, activation of underutilised space, greening with trees and shrubs, community gardens, and moveable streetscape elements. By enabling the participation of communities, local businesses, and stakeholders the projects enhance neighbourhood identity and encourage community connection.
As a key initiative of Council’s Design-led City - a design strategy for Brisbane, the program ensures future design in Brisbane is sustainable and responds to the local environment, community, culture, and climate.
Next steps for BNE Local
BNE Local is an experimental program and learnings from the first year (2020-21 financial year) of the program will be used to improve the program. The next steps are:
2020-21 Projects – Nundah Village, Ellen Grove, and Park Road, Milton
- July and August – community use of project installations monitoring of sites by project team
- by end of August - Project and site evaluations will be completed
- community feedback via Have Your Say surveys will help inform the next steps for the projects
- the future of BNE local project elements depends on their characteristics and if the test was successful, or not:
- reusable elements - will either be relocated on-site, relocated to other BNE Local sites, stored for future use
- site-specific prototypes – adapted, install period extended, or removed
- single-use elements – removed and findings from testing used to determine potential pathways for longer term
- August onwards – implementation of site-specific decommissioning plans.
- July – high-level BNE Local site selection process commences
- end of August - learnings from the 2020-21 project evaluations will inform changes to the program
- August onwards – detailed site investigations.
The BNE Local and Liveable program uses the following principles of tactical urbanism. These projects:
- are short-term, low-cost and scalable interventions that catalyse long-term change
- are safe, high quality and easy to maintain
- are practical and require flexibility to be adapted to real world use
- create value for the community by building on an opportunity or solving a specific challenge
- are experimental - the goal is to learn what works, what creates value and what the follow up actions
- are temporary or semi-permanent, adaptable, moveable and/or reversible.
Council welcomes active participation from residents and the community to ensure that BNE Local and Liveable projects are a collaborative effort between Council, stakeholders and communities.
For more information about BNE Local and Liveable projects: