Ashgrove West Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is working with the local community to revitalise the neighbourhood shopping precinct at Ashgrove West, along Waterworks Road. This is part of the Village Precinct Projects program and Council's commitment to create a city of vibrant neighbourhoods.
We're committing $3 million to the improvement project, which aims to:
- enhance the amenity, connection and safety for local residents and visitors to the centre
- contribute to and encourage local economic growth
- increase the community's sense of place and pride in this neighbourhood centre.
Proposed improvements include:
- footpath upgrades to improve accessibility and quality of underutilised space
- upgrade of existing crossing points to improve pedestrian safety and accessibility
- new tree planting
- groundcover plantings to new and existing garden beds
- installation of Council standard and unique street furniture
- public art installations.
- shade structures
Community consultation and engagement
The local community was encouraged to become involved in the planning for the revitalisation proposal by providing feedback about the local centre.
Council held two onsite information kiosks and an online mapping survey in September 2020 to present the concept design plan for the neighbourhood centre to the local community and for them to have their say. The interactive mapping survey closed on 9 October 2020. Thank you for sharing your ideas and suggestions on revitalising the Ashgrove West neighbourhood centre. Council has reviewed and analysed the feedback gathered from this consultation which has informed the final improvement plan for the Ashgrove West local shopping precinct.
In summary, feedback and suggestions from the community relating to the look and feel of the existing centre highlighted the need for improvements to overall streetscape amenity including:
- planting, shade and greenery
- spaces to sit or stay
- improved safety and ease of travel around the centre
- creative installations to promote centre character and identity.
- Final Improvement plan – Ashgrove West Village Precinct Project (PDF - 388kb)
- Final Improvement plan – Ashgrove West Village Precinct Project (Word - 376kb).
You can also view the final improvement plan at The Gap Ward Office, 477 Waterworks Road, Ashgrove and Ashgrove Library, 87 Amarina Avenue, Ashgrove.
As part of the creative community engagement activities, Council will deliver two artist-led workshops. The first is facilitated by local artist and business owner Kylie Johnson from paper boat press, and the second by artist Elisa Jane Carmichael.
Construction timing and impacts
Construction started early-February 2021, and will be completed late 2021, weather and site conditions permitting.
Construction will primarily take place between 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Thursday. These works will be undertaken at night when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of motorists and workers and to minimise disruptions to businesses. Some daytime construction works may be required, and these will be undertaken between 7am and 5pm Monday to Saturday.
Access to local businesses will be maintained during business hours during the construction period.
Properties in close proximity to the work may experience some construction noise, dust, and vibration, however, every effort will be made to minimise the impacts on the local community. Due to workplace health and safety requirements reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
Council is committed to minimising the impact of the works on the community as much as possible. We would like to thank local residents in advance for their patience and understanding during these works.
For more information on the West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the project team.