Lumley Street, Upper Mt Gravatt Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council completed the $716,000 streetscape improvement project in May 2023 to revitalise the Lumley Street, Upper Mt Gravatt neighbourhood shopping precinct.
Council worked with the local community to deliver an attractive, comfortable and connected centre for locals and visitors to use and enjoy.
This is part of Council’s commitment to create a city of vibrant neighbourhoods and improve the amenity of local retail villages with better paths, trees and seating, and new creative outcomes.
- footpath upgrades, including the installation of new tactile ground surface indicators to improve accessibility, maintenance and amenity in and around the centre
- a new on-street accessible parking bay with kerb ramps and upgraded Telstra phone booth for improved accessibility and connectivity
- additional street tree and garden bed planting to improve visual and physical amenity and to limit the urban heat island effect
- new standard street furniture and unique seating, bins and bike racks
- installing creative placemaking elements with catenary lighting and nature-themed paintings to select footpath areas for the community and visitors to enjoy.
Council consulted and involved the local community during the initiation phase of the Lumley Street, Upper Mt Gravatt precinct project in early 2022 and again during the planning phase, by providing feedback on the concept plan, in mid-2022.
The community feedback supported a streetscape upgrade which would improve accessibility and pedestrian access, provide more seating areas and street furniture, plant up new garden beds and create a family-friendly environment through the addition of colourful footpath painting and catenary lighting.
Fall in love with Lumley event
To celebrate the completion of the Lumley Street, Upper Mt Gravatt Village Precinct Project, Council, along with the local business owners, held the Fall in love with Lumley event at the newly upgraded centre. Local residents and visitors to the precinct enjoyed live music, games, giveaways, colourful yarn decorations, and an up-close encounter with native wildlife including snakes and lizards.
The event also included a free crochet workshop run by professional yarn bombers, Knitfest. In this creative space people of all ages enjoyed creating wool pom-poms and dangling spiders or honed their crochet skills whilst enjoying the afternoon sun on the new seats installed at the centre.
For more information on the Lumley Street, Upper Mt Gravatt Village Precinct Project you can:
- phone the project team on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team.
Find out more about the VPP program and recently delivered public space improvements by visiting the Village Precinct Projects page.