Martha Street Camp Hill Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is working with the local community to revitalise the Martha Street, Camp Hill neighbourhood shopping precinct. This is part of the Village Precinct Projects program (VPP) and Council’s commitment to create a city of vibrant neighbourhoods.
Council committed $1 million to the project, which aims to:
- enhance the amenity, connections and safety for residents and visitors to the centre
- encourage local economic growth
- increase the community’s sense of place and pride in their neighbourhood centre.
Community consultation and engagement
Council is grateful for the local community’s involvement in the planning for improvements to the Martha Street precinct.
The community provided ideas and suggestions during consultation in May 2021. Council used these to develop a plan that was presented to the community for feedback in August 2021.
This feedback informed our final improvement plan for the Martha Street precinct, which was released in April 2022.
Improvements to be delivered
- upgraded concrete footpath to improve accessibility, maintenance and amenity
- upgraded intersection
- relocated Newman Avenue pedestrian crossing to improve safety and accessibility
- marked parking bays and a consolidated loading zone
- street greening and new street trees to improve attractiveness and mitigate the urban heat island effect
- new garden beds and groundcover planting
- new custom seating
- public art installation ‘Ride With Me’ by local artist, Simone Eisler, for the community and visitors to enjoy.
View the final improvement plan:
- Martha Street Camp Hill Village Precinct Project - final improvement plan (PDF - 522kb)
- Martha Street Camp Hill Village Precinct Project - final improvement plan (Word - 880kb).
Project launch (completed)
Project launched 10 May 2021 with community kiosk and survey. Opportunities plan released for community feedback – August to 5 September 2021.
Planning and construction (current stage)
Final improvement plan released and available to view online via link above or at Coorparoo Ward Office. Construction started in April 2022 and will be completed by mid-2022, subject to weather and latent site conditions.
Late 2022 – community event celebrating the upgraded precinct and seeking community feedback on the delivered improvements.
Construction timing and impacts
As of July 2022, most of the works have been completed and the precinct is now fully functional. The final touches, including the installation of custom seating, artwork sculptures and garden bed planting will be completed in September 2022.
Access into and through the precinct will be maintained at all times. Retail and commercial amenities will remain open to visitors throughout construction.
The majority of works will be undertaken at night when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of pedestrians, motorists and workers, and to minimise disruptions.
Construction activities will generally be carried out from Sunday to Thursday, between 7pm to 5am, with occasional Saturday works as required. Some day works may be required. Day works will be undertaken from Monday to Friday from 7am to 5pm.
Council is committed to keeping local residents and businesses informed of construction activities and will provide notification of disruptive construction activities.
Residents and visitors are invited to a community event to celebrate the upgraded precinct and seeking community feedback on the delivered improvements.
The event will take place in late 2022 - further updates will be posted closer to the event.
For more information on the Martha Street Camp Hill VPP:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Martha Street Village Precinct Project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.