Sandgate Road Boondall Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is working with the local community to revitalise the neighbourhood shopping precinct at Sandgate Road, Boondall. This is part of the Village Precinct Projects program (VPP) and Council’s commitment to create a city of vibrant neighbourhoods.
We’re committing up to $1.13 million to the project, which aims to:
- enhance the amenity, connections and safety for residents and visitors
- contribute to and encourage local economic growth
- increase the community’s sense of place and pride in this neighbourhood centre.
Council is pleased to announce that construction of the Sandgate Road, Boondall VPP will commence in mid February 2023 and be complete by mid-2023, weather and site conditions permitting.
Community consultation and engagement
The local community is encouraged to become involved in the planning for improvements to the Sandgate Road, Boondall precinct.
In July 2022, Council asked the community for feedback on the opportunities proposal which was developed in response to Stage 1 community feedback and ideas. The community feedback supported improved pedestrian access and safety, landscaping, street furniture and creative placemaking.
Based on your comments from Stage One and Stage Two consultation, Council has formulated a final improvement plan for the centre.
Thank you for sharing your feedback throughout the project consultation, this has informed the final improvement plan for the Sandgate Road, Boondall Village Precinct Project.
Final improvements plan
The final improvements to be included in the project:
- upgrading the footpath with exposed aggregate concrete, making the area easier to move about, easier to maintain and improve the appearance
- improvements for pedestrian access, accessibility and safety. These improvements include realigned footpaths, stairs and balustrades, upgraded kerbs and new tactile ground surface indicators
- street greening including street tree planting to improve the appearance of the neighbourhood centre and create more shade
- new plants to new and existing garden beds
- installing new seating areas and street furniture, such as bike racks and rubbish bins
- installing creative features to improve the appearance of the precinct, including balustrading with decorative panelling celebrating the local character and natural environment.
View the final improvement plan:
- Sandgate Road, Boondall Village Precinct Project – Final improvement plan (PDF - 990kb)
- Sandgate Road, Boondall Village Precinct Project – Final improvement plan (Word - 3Mb)
Construction timing and impacts
Works for the project are anticipated to commence in mid-February 2023 and are expected to be completed by mid-2023, weather and site conditions permitting.
Access to businesses will be maintained during operating hours. Retail and commercial amenities will remain open to visitors throughout construction.
The majority of the works will be undertaken at night to minimise impacts on local traders and for safety of pedestrians and motorists. Works will take place from Sunday to Thursday, 8pm to 5am with occasional Saturday works as required. Some day works may be required. Day works will take place Monday to Friday 7am to 5pm.
Properties in close proximity to the works may experience some temporary construction noise, dust and vibration however every effort will be made to minimise the impacts on the local community. Any particularly noisy works, such as concrete saw cutting, will be completed before 10pm, where possible.
Council is committed to keeping residents and businesses informed of construction activities in their local area and will provide advance notification of activities likely to cause disruption during the construction period.
We thank you for your patience as we work to create a safer, greener, inviting place for the community.
Project launch (complete)
Site investigation and community consultation from 29 November to 12 December 2021.
Opportunities proposal (complete)
Release of opportunities proposal for community feedback in mid-2022. Consultation from 11 to 31 July 2022.
Final improvement plan released online or to view at Deagon Ward Office. Construction scheduled from mid-February 2023 and completed by mid-2023, subject to weather and site conditions.
Community event celebrating the upgraded precinct and seeking community feedback on delivered improvements in mid-2023.
For more information on the Sandgate Road Boondall Village Precinct Project:
- email the project team
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- write to:
Boondall Village Precinct Project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane QLD 4001