West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is working with the local community to revitalise the neighbourhood shopping precinct at West Ashgrove, along Waterworks Road. This is part of the Village Precinct Projects program and Council's commitment to create a city of vibrant neighbourhoods.
We're committing $3 million to the improvement project, which aims to:
- enhance the amenity, connection and safety for local residents and visitors to the centre
- contribute to and encourage local economic growth
- increase the community's sense of place and pride in this neighbourhood centre.
Proposed improvements may include:
- footpath upgrades to improve accessibility, areas of underutilised space and visual amenity
- improving pedestrian safety and accessibility by upgrading existing crossing points
- tree planting to improve visual and physical amenity while providing shade
- groundcover plantings to new and existing garden beds
- standard and unique street furniture
- creating placemaking opportunities.
Community consultation and engagement
The local community is encouraged to become involved in the planning for the revitalisation proposal by providing feedback about the local centre.
Council held two onsite information kiosks and an online survey in September 2020 to present the concept design plan for the neighbourhood centre to the local community and for them to have their say. Thank you for sharing your ideas and suggestions on revitalising the West Ashgrove neighbourhood centre. Council will review and analyse the feedback gathered from the onsite information kiosks and online surveys, which will assist Council in understanding what the community thinks is important in their neighbourhood and will help inform the final improvement plan for the West Ashgrove local shopping precinct.
- Concept design plan – West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project (PDF - 615kb)
- Concept design plan – West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project (Word - 229kb).
Council will present the improvement proposal plan to the community before the start of construction, scheduled for early 2021.
|Final improvement plan||A final improvement proposal will be prepared in response to the community’s feedback from the onsite information kiosks and the online mapping survey. The community will have the opportunity to view the final design for the revitalisation proposal when released in early 2021.|
|Construction||Construction is planned to commence early 2021 and be completed by late 2021, subject to weather and site conditions. Council will consult with businessowners and operators within the construction areas to ensure minimal disruption occurs during construction. Access to businesses in the West Ashgrove shopping centre will be maintained during business hours.|
|Project completion||The project is currently scheduled for completion late 2021.|
For more information on the West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the project team.