West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is working with the local community to revitalise the neighbourhood shopping precinct at West Ashgrove, along Waterworks Road. This is part of the Village Precinct Projects program and Council's commitment to create a city of vibrant neighbourhoods.
We're committing $3 million to the improvement project, which aims to:
- enhance the amenity, connection and safety for local residents and visitors to the centre
- contribute to and encourage local economic growth
- increase the community's sense of place and pride in this neighbourhood centre.
Proposed improvements include:
- footpath upgrades to improve accessibility, areas of underutilised space and visual amenity
- improving pedestrian safety and accessibility by upgrading existing crossing points
- tree planting to improve visual and physical amenity while providing shade
- groundcover plantings to new and existing garden beds
- standard and unique street furniture
- creating placemaking opportunities.
Community consultation and engagement
The local community is encouraged to become involved in the planning for the revitalisation proposal by providing feedback about the local centre.
- Site investigation area plan – West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project (PDF - 2.25Mb)
- Site investigation area plan – West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project (Word - 2Mb).
Council held two onsite information kiosks and an online survey providing the community with the opportunity to have their say about their neighbourhood centre. Feedback from these consultation sessions is being assessed and will assist Council in understanding what the community thinks is important in their neighbourhood and will influence the improvement proposal for the West Ashgrove local shopping precinct.
A concept design proposal will be developed in response to the community feedback from the information kiosks held on 6 and 7 December 2019 and the online survey, which closed 13 December 2019.
The concept design proposal will be presented back to the community in early 2020.
|Concept design||A concept design proposal will be prepared in response to the community’s feedback from the onsite information kiosks and the online survey. The community will have the opportunity to view and comment on the concept design when released, to inform a future revitalisation proposal.|
|Construction||Construction is planned to commence mid-2020 and be completed by end of 2020/early 2021, subject to weather and site conditions. Council will consult with businessowners and operators within the construction areas to ensure minimal disruption occurs during construction. Access to businesses in the West Ashgrove shopping centre will be maintained during business hours.|
|Project completion||The project is currently scheduled for completion late 2020/early 2021.|
For more information on the West Ashgrove Village Precinct Project, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the project team.