Design outcomes: Green and leafy neighbourhoods
Residents value Brisbane’s green and leafy neighbourhoods. Greenery provides cooling and shade, water capture, cleaner air and privacy, and contributes to relaxation and recreation opportunities. It is important that new development adequately contributes to our green and leafy neighbourhoods through a combination of shade trees, shrubs and greenery attached to buildings.
Quality residential developments contribute to Brisbane’s green and leafy character by incorporating:
- generous landscaping areas at the front of the property, including trees that create a shade canopy
- plentiful outdoor spaces with shade trees
- landscaping that flows through the site in unison with the built form
- green walls, green roofs and other greenery above ground level
- verge planting
- street trees that shade pedestrian and cycle paths.
Find information on how to prepare a landscape concept plan.
View photos below showing design characteristics of green and leafy neighbourhoods. Alternatively, view the album online in Flickr.