Design outcomes: Subtropical design
Brisbane’s subtropical climate requires an appropriate design response. Our climate features warm, humid and wet summers and generally mild, dry winters. One of Brisbane’s greatest draw cards is the frequency of warm sunny days throughout the year. Residential development should embrace our climate by designing for natural breezes, shaded outdoor spaces and protection from harsh sun and rain.
Quality residential developments respond to Brisbane’s subtropical climate by incorporating:
- shading devices and weather protection that respond to each elevation, including generous eaves and screening to east and west façades exposed to summer sun
- natural light and ventilation into communal areas such as hallways, lobbies and stairwells
- high ceilings in living areas to support natural air flow
- sun and breeze corridors between buildings
- appropriate materials and construction techniques for comfort and energy efficiency, as documented in the Australian Government Your Home design manual.