Davies Park improvement project (stage 2) - West End
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise further park improvements to Davies Park in West End are planned to enhance the park’s existing leisure and recreation opportunities for residents and visitors.
This work is part of Council's commitment to maintaining and enhancing more than 2100 parks across the city, so that residents have more opportunities to enjoy Brisbane’s beautiful climate and connect with family and friends in the places that make our city great.
|Address||277 Montague Road, West End|
|Project Outcomes||Enhance the park’s leisure and recreation opportunities by providing additional pathways, play spaces and rest areas.|
|Latest update||Construction commencing mid-September 2021|
About the project
Davies Park is a much-loved, six-hectare green space in West End that has provided sport and recreation opportunities for the community for more than 100 years.
Initial improvements to Davies Park were completed in 2020, resulting in more recreation opportunities and amenities for the local community and visitors to enjoy. Stage two of the Davies Park improvement project will deliver additional park improvements following the successful completion of stage one works in April 2020.
Stage two of the Davies Park improvement project will deliver additional park improvements following the successful completion of stage one works in April 2020.
This project is jointly funded by the Australian Government and Brisbane City Council.
Improvement works to be undertaken in 2021-22
Stage two of the Davies Park improvement project will deliver:
- a perimeter pathway around the Village Green with connection to the multi-use games area
- a pathway down the embankment to connect the park to Riverside Drive
- an inspiring nature-themed play space
- additional park furniture.
Stage two of improvements to Davies Park will provide:
- extended paths to improve accessibility and provide increased space for users of the multi-use games area at the eastern end of the park
- improved access between Davies Park and Riverside Drive
- additional opportunities for children to engage in creative play in the park in a safe and stimulating environment
- increased relaxation and rest area opportunities to enjoy the park with family and friends.
Construction on Davies Park is scheduled to begin in mid-September 2021 and be completed by late December 2021, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Construction activities will be undertaken from 6.30am to 6.30pm, Monday to Friday. No construction activities will take place on Saturdays to ensure the Davies Park Market is not impacted.
Davies Park will remain open to visitors during construction, however individual work areas will be fenced off for the safety of workers and the public. Signage will be in place to notify users of areas that are out of access.
Local residents and businesses in close proximity to the project site may experience some construction impacts associated with these works, including noise and increased vehicle movements in the park and local area Some construction activitiemay result in temporary access restrictions to the internal roadway. A traffic management plan will be in place and Council will make every effort to minimise disruptions to the users of the site. The Davies Park Market will continue to operate during this time.
Council apologises for any inconvenience the construction works may cause and thanks the public in advance for their patience during the improvements.
Improvement works undertaken in 2019-20
The first stage of works at Davies Park were undertaken in November 2019 and completed in April 2020. These works included:
- partially removing and reshaping existing mounds to create new greenspace and improve vistas through the park
- building a new multi-use games area including some skateable elements
- reconstructing and resurfacing part of the internal park roadway
- installing drainage to reduce flooding in the park
- replacing the existing sand volleyball courts with a multi-use hardcourt and gravel surface
- planting new shade trees and landscaping works
- installing a new and accessible toilet block with six cubicles
- installing park seats.
Council undertook community consultation with the West End community in July 2018 prior to stage one of works commencing. During consultation, Council gathered feedback on proposed park improvements to ensure they aligned with community interests. Based on comprehensive feedback on the proposed design, features were prioritised to ensure the improvements resulted in the greatest community benefits within the constraints of the site and available budget.
This second stage of works will deliver additional elements of the previous community-supported plan.
If you would like to find out more about stage two of the Davies Park improvement project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Davies Park improvement project team
CPO Box 1434
Brisbane QLD 4001.