Walking in Brisbane
Walking is the most basic form of exercise and costs as little as a good pair of walking shoes. Whether it's a bushwalk, a suburban hill circuit, wandering a curated walking trail, or doing a paced walk at your local shopping centre with a walking group, walking can help improve your health and wellbeing.
Use this page to find out about walking options in Brisbane.
For even more ideas on ways to stay active and to get out and about, view our Things to see and do in Brisbane page.
Find a walk to suit you
There are 17 suburban heritage walking trails across Brisbane celebrating the stories of local suburbs, in addition to Aboriginal culture trails, the Reflections on the River Trail and the Kangaroo Point National History Project Trail.
Beginner's guide to walking Mt Coot-tha Reserve
Less than 10 kilometres from the Brisbane Central Business District, Mt Coot-tha Reserve is a must-do for beginner and hiking enthusiasts alike.
Indigenous Art Program - Walking night tours
Join curators of the Indigenous Art Program to learn about artworks around Brisbane City. The tour will visit various sites located through the CBD for an hour and a half.
Indigenous Art Program - NAIDOC Week walking tours
Join curators of the Indigenous Art Program to learn about artworks around Brisbane City. The tour will visit various sites located through the CBD across the hour and a half.
Tips for top walking
To get the most out of your walks:
- plan your route and pack lightly
- wear a pair of comfortable shoes
- protect yourself from the sun with a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
- buy a pedometer to record your distance and help keep you motivated.
- A City for Everyone: Inclusive Brisbane Plan 2019-2029 - Walking, wheeling and cycling
- Active School Travel - walking
- Brisbane: Better together - our digital neighbourhood
- Check out the What's On in Brisbane calendar
- Creating a Walkable Brisbane - a Transport Plan for Brisbane - Strategic Directions key initiative
- Find even more to see and do in Brisbane
- Green transport