Walking in Brisbane
Walking is the most basic form of exercise and costs as little as a good pair of walking shoes. Whether it's a bushwalk, a suburban hill circuit, wandering a curated walking trail, or doing a paced walk at your local shopping centre with a walking group, walking can help improve your health and wellbeing.
Use this page to find out about walking options in Brisbane.
For even more ideas on ways to stay active and to get out and about, view our Things to see and do in Brisbane page. There's also heaps of suggestions on our Find your fitness style page to help you discover a new you in 2020.
Find a walk to suit you
Bushland reserve tracks
We have over 9500 hectares of natural areas in Brisbane. Find a walking or multi-use track in a bushland reserve near you.
Our 18 suburban heritage walking trails celebrate the stories of local suburbs.
Council's Outdoor Gallery transforms Brisbane's laneways and city streets into imaginative, curious, and engaging spaces. Explore the gallery on foot.
Explore the iconic Toowong Cemetery with our self-guided walks developed with the support of the Friends of Toowong Cemetery.
Tips for top walking
To get the most out of your walks:
- plan your route and pack lightly
- wear a pair of comfortable shoes
- protect yourself from the sun with a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
- buy a pedometer to record your distance and help keep you motivated.
- A City for Everyone: Inclusive Brisbane Plan 2019-2029 - Walking, wheeling and cycling
- Active School Travel - walking
- Brisbane: Better together - our digital neighbourhood
- Check out the What's On in Brisbane calendar
- Creating a Walkable Brisbane - a Transport Plan for Brisbane - Strategic Directions key initiative
- Find even more to see and do in Brisbane
- Green transport