Over the next three years, we’re making Brisbane City Council’s playgrounds sun-safe, with work underway to install shade sails at playgrounds across Brisbane.
Council has recently installed the 50th shade sail as part of the sun-safe suburban playgrounds program. This initiative and investment aims to increase shade over playground equipment via shade sails and trees to keep playgrounds cool, making our parks safer for kids to play, learn and grow.
The accelerated program will also see an increase in trees planted to create a cleaner, greener Brisbane, while also providing a great source of shade.
We know parks and playgrounds are loved and valued, which is why we've dedicated more than $691.9 million to clean and green initiatives in this year's Budget. This includes $69 million for new parks and enhancements, including new sports parks in Murarrie and Nudgee.
What we've delivered
We've already installed shade sails in these Brisbane playgrounds:
- Akuna Street Park, Kenmore
- Bacton Road Park, Chandler
- Cannon Hill Bushland Reserve, Cannon Hill
- Castamore Way Park, Richlands
- Ferny Grove Picnic Ground Park, Ferny Grove
- Greenhills Park, Alderley
- Kings Park, Keperra
- Kurand Street Park, Balmoral
- Milton Urban Common, Milton
- Orleigh Park, West End
- Spencer Park, Newmarket
- Tryon Street Park, Upper Mount Gravatt.
- Brisbane Explore hub - find ideas to explore your own backyard
- Check out our list of Brisbane's top 10 playgrounds
- We asked, you answered! Here's your list of best playgrounds for Brisbane kids
- Find parks near you
- Featured parks - find our suggestions for playgrounds, dog parks, and parks for picnics
- Find even more things to see and do in Brisbane
*This blog was updated in August 2023.*
Shade for every playground. Wheeee!
We're investing in shade for Brisbane City Council Playgrounds.