Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection upgrade
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce that construction of the Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection, on the boundary of Darra and Seventeen Mile Rocks, is now complete.
|Address||Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection, Darra and Seventeen Mile Rocks|
|Project outcomes||Improve safety and enhance overall operation of intersection|
End of construction
About the project
The Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection accommodates approximately 15,000 vehicles per day, making it an important junction in Brisbane’s road network to connect to the Centenary Highway, Oxley Road and the Ipswich Motorway.
We identified the need to upgrade the intersection to improve safety for people walking, riding and driving through the area.
Now complete, the project has improved the overall safety and operation of the intersection with the installation of traffic lights. Safety and connectivity for people walking and riding has also been improved with the addition of controlled pedestrian crossings and two-metre-wide on-road bike lanes along Monier Road.
The Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection upgrade project was jointly funded by Brisbane City Council and the Australian Government's Roads to Recovery program.
The project involved:
- installing traffic lights at the intersection
- providing two right-turn pockets on Bellwood Street, north and southbound
- widening the left-turn slip lane on Monier Road eastbound and extending the left-turn slip lane on Monier Road westbound
- upgrading and realigning the pedestrian refuge on Monier Road
- improving the road geometry to allow safe movements for B-double vehicles
- installing new traffic islands and medians to improve road delineation for motorists on Monier Road
- providing two-metre-wide on-road bike lanes along Monier Road
- upgrading footpaths, pram ramps and kerb and channel
- tree removal and landscaping.
For more information
If you would like to find out more information about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team
- write to
- Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.