Brisbane Metropolitan Transport Management Centre
Brisbane City Council and Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads jointly established the Brisbane Metropolitan Transport Management Centre (BMTMC) in 2006. This was to enable efficient multi-modal transport operations.
The BMTMC is the transport management centre for the greater Brisbane area. It services road users and public transport patrons 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The BMTMC has three key functions:
Traffic Management Centre
The Traffic Management Centre (TMC) is the single point of contact for incident management on all Council and state-owned roads. The TMC operators respond each year to more than 19,000:
- traffic hazards
- stationary vehicles
- multiple weather events, and
- other major incidents.
They also manage traffic around public events, monitor traffic flow and roadworks, coordinate clearway towing on Council roads and facilitate tows-to-safety for broken down vehicles on motorways.
Network Coordination Centre
Council manages one of the largest bus fleets in Australia, with more than 1200 buses in operation. The Network Coordination Centre provides real-time incident management and support to drivers and buses across Brisbane.
Busways Operations Centre
Within the BMTMC, Translink’s Busways Operations Centre manages an extensive busway network. It offers segregated, fast and reliable bus services in and out of Brisbane’s inner-city area. Their responsibilities include:
- proactive monitoring of busways and stations with the help of more than 600 CCTV cameras
- real-time management of safety and security incidents, and
- field response teams.
To ensure a safe and more predictable commute for customers using the road and transport network, the BMTMC also works closely with external agencies including:
- the Queensland Police Service
- emergency services
- Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ)
- public transport and private motorway operators, and
- maintenance contractors.
You can get traffic and travel information by:
- phoning 13 19 40 Traffic Report Line
- checking online traffic updates
- listening to local radio stations for peak period traffic reports.