First Home Owner Rebate
First home owners who buy or build an established home in Brisbane may be eligible to received a rates rebate if this is the first home for all new owners and settlement occurs on or before 30 June 2021.
For newly built homes, you may be eligible to received a rebate of up to $2000 over a 12 month period, if:
- you apply by 31 December 2021, the build completion date is between 1 October 2020 and 31 December 2021, and the title transfer date is on or before 30 June 2021.
For established homes, you may be eligible to received a rebate of up to $1000 over a 12 month period, if:
- you apply within 12 months of the title transfer date and by 31 December 2021, and the title transfer date is on or before 30 June 2021.
ALL of the following criteria must also be met:
- all owners are at least 18 years of age
- at least one owner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- none of the owners have previously owned a home in Australia
- the purchase price (including house and land) was less than $750,000, and
- all owners live in the home and will live there continuously for at least six months.
Application made for one of the following are not eligible:
- purchases of vacant land - please reapply once you have moved in
- purchases made in the name of a trust or company.
Eligible first home owners will also receive an exemption from the Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee which Council charges to establish a new rate account when a property transfers ownership.
Determining the value
For applicants who purchase an existing home, the 'value' will be determined by the price listed on the contract of the sale.
For applicants who are building their first home, the 'value' will be determined by the price of the land listed on the contact of sale plus the price to build the home.
How to apply
If you are an eligible first home owner and have your first rate account, you can apply for the First Home Owner Rebate via the online application form.
Alternatively, you can download the hard copy application form (PDF 49kb). To complete the form, you will need:
- the property address
- rate account number (this is located on the third page of the rate notice)
- details of your name as it appears on the account.
Further information about Council's First Home Owner Rebate can be found in the Partial Rebate of Rates and Charges (First Home Owners) Policy (PDF - 94kb).
For more information about the First Home Owner Rebate, you can phone Council on 07 3403 8888.