Owning your first home is easier
We’re helping lower the cost of living through a range of rates rebates for those who need it most. This is just one of the ways we're making Brisbane better.
Brisbane City Council is making it easier to buy your first home by providing a 50% rates rebate for eligible first home owners of up to $1000.
From 1 October 2020, eligible first home buyers who buy or build a new home can receive a 100% rebate of up to $2000. The applicable rebate will be provided over a 12 month period from the build completion date.
About the First Home Owner Rebate scheme
The First Home Owner Rebate scheme is available on homes with a value less than $750,000 and acquired as a principal place of residence, regardless of whether it’s a new build or an existing house or unit.
It provides a rebate of the rates and charges payable for ratepayers who comply with Council's definition of first home owners.
To be eligible, the change of property ownership (transfer date) must be recorded by the Titles Registry Office of Queensland on or after 1 October 2019. For new homes, the build completion date must be after 1 October 2020. Find out more about additional eligibility requirements.
The rebate will apply to:
- General rates (after rate capping) and;
- Environmental Management Compliance Levy and;
- Bushland Preservation Levy and;
- Waste Utility Charges.
Once an application is approved, the rebate will commence in the next rating quarter.
The rebate will be applied over a 12-month period and reflected on the quarterly rate account as an offset to the full amount of the rates and charges payable for the relevant land.
To be eligible for the First Home Owner Rebate scheme:
- an application must be made by all property owners
- all applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- at least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- do not currently own a home in Australia; and
- have not previously owned a home in Australia, and
- are purchasing their first home and are occupying the home as the principal place of residence of all applicants for a continuous period of at least 6 months within the first 12 months following the title transfer date or build completion date (whichever is the later date).
All applicants must be buying or building a new or established home in the Brisbane local government area.
The value of the home, including the land, must be less than $750,000.
Determining the value
For applicants who purchase an existing home, the ‘value’ will be determined by the price listed on the contract of sale.
For applicants who are building their first home, the ‘value’ will be determined by the price of the land listed on the contract of sale plus the price to build the home.
How to apply
If you are an eligible first home owner and have your first rate account, you can apply for the First Home Owner Rebate via the online application form.
Alternatively, the hard copy application form (First Home Owner Rebate and/or Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee Exemption form) can be used.
New build applications can be made from 1 October 2020.
For more information about the First Home Owner Rebate scheme you can phone Council on 07 3403 8888.