Types of Council meetings
Council has different types of meetings. These include Standing Committee meetings, budget meetings, ordinary meetings and recess periods.
Brisbane City Council's Ordinary meetings are in City Hall Council Chamber, 64 Adelaide Street, Brisbane. Public access is via level 2. Meetings are on Tuesdays at 1pm (except during recess periods).
The Chair of Council, elected by the Councillors, presides over each meeting. The Lord Mayor does not chair the proceedings. The bells ring at 1pm to summon Councillors to the chamber.
A typical meeting agenda includes:
- Apologies and leave of absence.
- Confirmation of minutes.
- Public participation.
- Question time.
- Reception and consideration of the Standing Committee's reports:
- Establishment and Coordination
- City Planning and Suburban Renewal
- Environment, Parks and Sustainability
- City Standards
- Community, Arts and Nighttime Economy
- Finance and City Governance
- Economic Development and the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games Committee.
- Presentation of petitions.
- General business.
The Chief Executive Officer must call a special Council meeting if:
- required by Council resolution; or
- a written request, signed by the Lord Mayor or nine or more Councillors is lodged. The request must state the reason for the meeting and propose a meeting date and time.
Budget meetings are in June each year and include:
- the Lord Mayor's budget speech (the Chair of Finance and City Governance Committee can also make this speech)
- the Leader of the Opposition's response
- information sessions about each of Council's programs (the public can attend these sessions as observers)
- a budget debate
- a vote on the motion to adopt Council budget.
Standing Committee meetings
The roles and responsibilities of Standing Committees are as delegated by Council.
Standing Committees (other than the Establishment and Coordination Committee and the Councillor Ethics Committee) meet each Tuesday morning (except during recess periods). Their reports and recommendations are forwarded to the Council ordinary meeting the following week for adoption.