There are four dams within the Brisbane local government area that are owned by Seqwater:
- Enoggera Dam, the Gap
- Gold Creek Dam, Brookfield
- Lake Manchester Dam, Lake Manchester
- Leslie Harrison Dam, Capalaba. This dam is located between Brisbane and the Redland City Council local government area.
There are three dams located outside of the Brisbane local government area that are owned by Seqwater where spills may impact parts of the Brisbane local government area:
- North Pine Dam, Strathpine
- Somerset Dam, Kilcoy
- Wivenhoe Dam, Fernvale.
Brisbane City Council owns the following dams:
- Forest Lake Dam, Forest Lake
- Gordon Road Detention Basin, Bardon.
Possible impacts to the community surrounding a dam may be localised flooding and localised road closures if a dam spills.
Further information on road conditions and closures is available on the Department of Transport and Main Roads website or from their 13 19 40 hotline.
All of the dams in the Brisbane Local Government Area are ungated, meaning the water is not controlled through the operation of gates. These dams are designed to spill when the water level gets too high.
- Council encourages residents to sign up to the free Early Warning Alert Service
- Seqwater has a free opt-in Dam Release Notification Service
How to prepare
- Understand your flood risk
- Read the emergency action plan for the dam. Read further information on emergency action plans for each dam
- Have an emergency plan in place
- Have an emergency kit
- Sign up to the free Early Warning Alert Service
For more information visit Council's be prepared web page.