Park bookings and consents | Brisbane City Council

Park bookings and consents

Brisbane City Council has responsibility to protect, manage and maintain Brisbane parks, to provide for fair use and enjoyment of, and access to, parks by residents and visitors, and to allow opportunities for people to seek approval to use park space (subject to application, approval, terms and conditions) for a specific purpose.

While most activities in parks do not need Council approval, you may need Council consent or approval to:

  • book part of a park for exclusive use; and/or
  • conduct a specific activity in a park.

Use this page to find out when a park booking or consent is required and how to apply.

Park activities requiring a booking or consent

Some activities or events in parks will incur fees, security bond and/or other charges. If applicable, these charges will be invoiced after Council assesses your application. Find out about park fees.

If you want to use a Council park for any of the following, you will need to apply to Council for consent/approval:

  • booking for exclusive use of a designated site
  • commercial activity, such as personal training and group fitness classes
  • erecting or placing any temporary structure covering more than 15m² (e.g. jumping castle)
  • access to and use of Council power or other utility
  • activities involving animals other than domestic pets
  • distributing or affixing or posting notices, literature, placards or similar promotional materials.

Some common park activities that require consent/approval include:

  • animal nurseries and pony rides
  • bike riding or skate coaching or demonstrations
  • circuses
  • coffee and food vendors
  • cross country and other major sporting events
  • equipment hire and tours
  • fairs, fetes and festivals
  • fundraising and other stalls
  • life skills classes
  • markets
  • parties with jumping castles
  • promotional activities and events
  • slacklining.

There are specific one-stop-shop application processes that apply to major events, filming and personal training in Council parks.

Prohibited and restricted activities

Find out which activities are prohibited or restricted in parks

How to apply

Complete and submit the online park consent/booking application form. You are encouraged to make your application at least five working days before your activity or event. You can apply for vehicle access relating to your park activity as part of your online application. Vehicle access is restricted in many parks, but may be available subject to Council's discretion in some circumstances.

Your application will be acknowledged within two working days. It may take up to 10 working days to process your application.

Other approvals

You may need to consider other approvals for your park activity including:

More information

Read our guidelines for using Council parks:

If you are unsure whether your park activity requires an application or whether it might be prohibited or restricted, contact Council for more information.

14 September 2018