Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection improvements - Herston
We are pleased to share that we are upgrading the Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection in Herston, to improve safety by creating a slower speed environment.
|Address||Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection, Herston|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety and enhanced connectivity for all road users|
Project introduction. Download project newsletter.
About the project
To address community concerns about vehicles speeding and hooning in this location, we are making improvements to increase safety by adding new speed platforms, extending the kerb and reducing the speed limit to 40 km/hr at the intersection.
The project also involves improving bus turning movements by realigning Butterfield Street and Clyde Road at the approach to the intersection. People walking and riding through the area will be able to safely cross using new pedestrian refuge islands.
This project is jointly funded by the Australian Government as part of the Roads to Recovery program and Brisbane City Council.
Butterfield Street, Aberleigh Road and Fagan Road intersection improvements
Improvement works are also occurring at the intersection of Butterfield Street, Aberleigh Road and Fagan Road. Find out more about this project.
- Create a slower speed environment and prevent hooning at the northern end of Clyde Road, by installing new speed platforms and reducing the speed limit to 40 km/h.
- Enhance safety and connectivity for people walking and riding through the intersection by installing pedestrian refuge islands and extending the kerbs on Butterfield Street and Clyde Road.
- Improving safety for motorists and turning movements for buses by relocating the bus stops and extending the kerb on Butterfield Street.
Below is a summary of the works being undertaken as part of the project.
- Installing two speed platforms on the northern end of Clyde Road to slow motorists down and prevent hooning.
- Reducing the posted speed limit to 40 km/h on the northern end of Clyde Road.
- Extending the kerb on Butterfield Street and Clyde Road to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians and force motorists to slow down.
- Installing pedestrian refuge islands on Butterfield Street and Clyde Road to provide pedestrian protection.
- Relocating the existing bus stops on both sides of Butterfield Street to improve accessibility and connectivity for public transport users.
- Upgrading the footpaths and kerb ramps.
- Installing new line marking, signage and landscaping.
- Project introduction - December 2023
- Start of construction - Early 2024
- End of construction - Mid-2024
Other projects in the area
We are also proposing to upgrade the Butterfield Street, Aberleigh Road and Fagan Road intersection, in Herston.
Download the project newsletter:
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road newsletter (PDF - 1.17MB)
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road newsletter (Word - 2.96MB).
To register to receive future updates or learn more about the Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection improvements project, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside business hours)
- email the project team
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- write to:
Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection improvements
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.