Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection improvements - Herston
We are pleased to confirm works to upgrade the Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection in Herston will start in February 2024. These important works will improve safety by creating a slower speed environment.
|Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection, Herston
|Improved safety and enhanced connectivity for all road users
Construction to commence February 2024
About the project
To address community concerns about vehicles speeding and hooning in this location, we are making improvements to increase safety by adding new speed platforms, extending the kerb and reducing the speed limit to 40 km/hr at the intersection.
The project also involves improving bus turning movements by realigning Butterfield Street and Clyde Road at the approach to the intersection. People walking and riding through the area will be able to safely cross using new pedestrian refuge islands.
This project is funded by the Australian Government as part of the Roads to Recovery program.
Butterfield Street, Aberleigh Road and Fagan Road intersection improvements
Improvement works are also occurring at the intersection of Butterfield Street, Aberleigh Road and Fagan Road. Find out more about this project.
- Create a slower speed environment and prevent hooning at the northern end of Clyde Road, by installing new speed platforms and reducing the speed limit to 40 km/h.
- Enhance safety and connectivity for people walking and riding through the intersection by installing pedestrian refuge islands and extending the kerbs on Butterfield Street and Clyde Road.
- Improving safety for motorists and turning movements for buses by relocating the bus stops and extending the kerb on Butterfield Street.
Below is a summary of the works being undertaken as part of the project.
- Installing two speed platforms on the northern end of Clyde Road to slow motorists down and prevent hooning.
- Reducing the posted speed limit to 40 km/h on the northern end of Clyde Road.
- Extending the kerb on Butterfield Street and Clyde Road to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians and force motorists to slow down.
- Installing pedestrian refuge islands on Butterfield Street and Clyde Road to provide pedestrian protection.
- Relocating the existing bus stops on both sides of Butterfield Street to improve accessibility and connectivity for public transport users.
- Upgrading the footpaths and kerb ramps.
- Installing new line marking, signage and landscaping.
- Project introduction - December 2023
- Start of construction - February 2024
- End of construction - May 2024
Other projects in the area
We are also proposing to upgrade the Butterfield Street, Aberleigh Road and Fagan Road intersection, in Herston.
Construction will commence from February 2024 and be completed by May 2024, weather and site conditions permitting.
Works will take place from 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Businesses and residents in close proximity to the works may experience:
- construction machinery and vehicle movement
- increased levels of dust, noise and vibrations
- temporary traffic changes, including lane closures, bus stop relocations, minor traffic delays and reduced speed limits.
Bus services will run as scheduled, temporary bus stops will be located along Butterfield Street adjacent to existing stops.
If you are travelling through the works zone please follow the direction of signage and traffic control.
A site laydown area will be located at the northern end of Clyde Road, near John Isley Drive. This area will be used to temporarily store materials and machinery while the project is underway.
Download the project newsletter:
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road project plan (PDF - 2Mb)
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road project plan (Word - 1.1Mb)
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road newsletter (PDF - 1.17Mb)
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road newsletter (Word - 2.96Mb)
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road start of construction A4 works notice (PDF - 300kb)
- Butterfield Street and Clyde Road start of construction A4 works notice (Word - 166kb).
To register to receive future updates or learn more about the Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection improvements project, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside business hours)
- email the project team
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- write to:
Butterfield Street and Clyde Road intersection improvements
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.