Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing pre-feasibility study
Brisbane City Council completed a pre-feasibility study into travel across the river between Chelmer and Indooroopilly.
|Address||Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing|
|Ward||Walter Taylor & Tennyson|
|Project outcomes||Key findings from the study have defined the problem and provided potential options for improving cross-river capacity|
The pre-feasibility study into cross river travel is now complete
About the study
Brisbane City Council has completed a pre-feasibility study into travel across the river between Chelmer and Indooroopilly.
The pre-feasibility study is the first step in Council understanding how, when and why people cross the river between Chelmer and Indooroopilly and what we might need to consider for more in-depth investigations into potential improvements or upgrades to this crossing to improve the community’s travel experience.
One key component of the study was community consultation which was undertaken from November 2021 to April 2022. More than 1400 people completed the online survey, attended a community information session, emailed or phoned the project team with suggestions and feedback.
In addition to community consultation, Council undertook technical investigations to consider the high-level expected benefits, impacts, cost, risks, and opportunities of a limited set of new cross-river travel options in the vicinity of Walter Taylor Bridge.
The pre-feasibility study took into consideration Council’s policies, planning, engineering and networking modelling with some of the key themes investigated below:
- current and proposed land use in the local area
- local and network-wide traffic studies, including both current and forecast traffic figures
- environmental & heritage planning advice
- planning documents.
Insights identified through community consultation undertaken as part of the pre-feasibility study are listed below, with more detailed information available in the key findings report.
- There is a high level of community support for infrastructure solutions, with 85% of respondents suggesting a need for infrastructure upgrade and a want to see improvements to the district and river crossing.
- More than 70% of respondents suggested upgrading infrastructure by building another bridge or increasing capacity of the existing Walter Taylor Bridge, by making traffic improvements north and south of the river to reduce congestion and improve travel time reliability of road users.
- 63% of respondents cross the river three or more days in a week and 79% of respondents said congestion, travel time or reliability are the main challenges when crossing the river.
- 18% of respondents outlined a need for direct and more frequent bus and train services, including more connections servicing the northern and southern suburbs and better access to parking in and around the train stations.
- 12% of respondents wanted more active transport links to local paths and cycleways.
- Only 1% of respondents don’t want any changes.
As some responses included several themes, the number of feedback items and suggestions is greater than the total number of respondents.
Given the complexity and size of this potential future investment, including the interface with the Queensland Government’s rail corridor, Council would need support from other levels of government prior to progressing further work.
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly River Crossing - feedback extended flyer (PDF - 212kb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly River Crossing - feedback extended flyer (Word - 869kb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly River Crossing - Pre-feasibility study newsletter 1 (PDF - 918kb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly River Crossing - Pre-feasibility study newsletter 1 (Word - 123kb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing – Pre-feasibility study key findings report (PDF – 1.93Mb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing – Pre-feasibility study key findings report (Word – 24.31Mb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing – newsletter 2 – outcomes from consultation and key findings (PDF - 1.76Mb)
- Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing – newsletter 2 – outcomes from consultation and key findings (Word - 5.29Mb)
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the Chelmer to Indooroopilly river crossing pre-feasibility study, you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (24 hours)
- write to:
Chelmer to Indooroopilly River Crossing Pre-feasibility Study
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.