Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1 - East Brisbane
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce major construction is now complete on the Wynnum Road corridor upgrade stage 1 through East Brisbane.
The project was part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting people home quicker and safer.
Stage 1b of the corridor upgrade complementing the works undertaken in Stage 1 were completed in August 2020.
These interim measures will improve traffic efficiency and safety along Wynnum Road, between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.
Stage 1 fly-through video
Watch the fly-through video to learn about this stage of the project.
|Address||Lytton Road - Latrobe Street to Canning Bridge, East Brisbane|
|Latest news||Completed April 2020|
|Related projects||Read more about Stage 1b of this project for further information.|
About the project
Works on the Wynnum Road corridor upgrade stage 1 started in early 2018 and were completed in April 2020.
- widening Lytton Road between Latrobe Street and Canning Bridge from four to six lanes
- upgrading the bend at Heidelberg Street by changing the curve to improve safety
- increasing lane widths to 3.3 metres for the inside lanes and 3.7 metres for the outside lanes to improve safety
- relocating and signalising the intersection at Laidlaw Parade and Lytton Road
- installing a U-turn facility at the new Laidlaw Parade and Lytton Road intersection
- installing a centre median to prevent right turns
- rationalising and indenting bus bays to reduce the impact on traffic flow and improve efficiency
- providing off-road bike path between Mowbray Park and Laidlaw Parade, with a separate pedestrian footpath
- removing access to Eskgrove and Scanlan Streets from Lytton Road
- undergrounding the existing overhead service lines
- installing up-lighting under feature trees and the war memorial and providing free Wi-Fi in Mowbray Park.
- landscaping involving planting more than 300 trees and more than 20,000 plants
- improve safety for all road users
- improve road capacity to cater for current demands and accommodate expected traffic growth
- improve travel times
- reduce congestion.
Further information on stage 1b of the project is available on the Wynnum Road corridor upgrade – Stage 1b page.
If you would like to find out more about this project, you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (24-hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade – Stage 1
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.