Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade - Aspley
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection in Aspley to improve safety for all road users, enhance the overall operation of the intersection and enhance pedestrian connectivity to Marchant Park.
|Address||Ellison Road and Kirby Road, Aspley|
|Project outcomes||Improved road safety and traffic flow efficiency|
Start of construction
About the project
The Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection is currently a priority-controlled T-intersection with a stop sign on Kirby Road approaching Ellison Road. Kirby Road carries approximately 6300 vehicles a day and Ellison Road carries approximately 13,500 vehicles a day.
Between 2016 and 2021, seven crashes have been recorded at the intersection, four of which required medical treatment and three resulted in hospitalisation. Five of the incidents were caused from vehicles turning right out of Kirby Road and colliding with vehicles travelling eastbound on Ellison Road. High traffic volumes, extended wait times and poor sightlines of vehicles travelling on Ellison Road contributes to motorists misjudging safe gaps in the traffic when turning onto Ellison Road.
The Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade is jointly funded by the Australian Government’s Roads to Recovery program and Brisbane City Council.
Project works involve:
- installing traffic lights at the intersection with pedestrian crossing facilities
- extending the right-turn pocket on Ellison Road to increase capacity
- widening Kirby Road to the east to construct a new left-turn lane
- constructing new centre medians on Ellison Road, either side of the intersection
- reconfiguring the Marchant Park car park with a dedicated entry/exit and new angled parking
- removing three formal parking bays in the Marchant Park car park to accommodate the reconfiguration
- upgrading the footpath on the eastern side of Kirby Road with bike off-ramps
- relocating the bus stop on the western side of Kirby Road approximately 50m to the north
- installing a new concrete slab to the existing bus stop on the eastern side of Kirby Road
- new pavement, line marking, landscaping and turf.
- Detailed design - complete
- Start of construction – mid-2022
- End of construction – late 2022.
Works will take place from Early June 2022 and be completed late 2022, weather and site conditions permitting.
Most works will take place from Monday to Saturday, 7am to 5pm. Some night works will be required and will take place between, Sunday to Thursday, 7pm to 5am, when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of workers and road users. Council will provide advanced notification of any anticipated night works required throughout the construction period.
The site compound will be established within the informal verge on the southern side of Ellison Road opposite Eustace Street.
What the community can expect
Residents and businesses in close proximity to the intersection may experience:
- increased noise from general construction activity
- increased truck movements
- low levels of vibration and dust
- temporary traffic changes including lane closures and reduced speed limits
- temporary detours for pedestrians and cyclists.
To enable the construction of this project, two trees will be removed along Ellison Road. All tree and vegetation removal will be offset with replanting in the local area.
You can download:
- Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade project plan – Jan 2022 (PDF - 2.2Mb)
- Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade project plan – Jan 2022 (Word - 674kb)
- Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade project newsletter – Nov 2021 (PDF - 2.04Mb)
- Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade project newsletter – Nov 2021 (Word - 1.08Mb)
- Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade project plan – Nov 2021 (PDF - 2.2Mb)
- Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade project plan – Nov 2021 (Word - 653kb).
Council is committed to keeping the local community informed about the latest project updates. More information will be provided to the local community closer to the start of construction.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 884 681
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- write to:
Ellison Road and Kirby Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.