Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade - Mount Gravatt East
Brisbane City Council is planning to upgrade the intersection of Newnham Road and Wecker Road in Mount Gravatt East.
This project will improve overall intersection operation and safety for all road users, as well as ensure it can cater for future traffic demands.
|Address||Newnham Road and Wecker Road, Mount Gravatt East|
|Project outcomes||Improve road safety|
|Latest news||Preliminary design|
About the project
The Newnham and Wecker Road intersection accommodates approximately 35,000 vehicles, 474 buses, 55 cyclists and 186 pedestrians every day, making it an important junction in Brisbane’s major road network in the city’s southern suburbs.
The intersection has been identified as a location requiring traffic and safety improvements with a total of 18 crashes reported at the intersection between 2014 and 2019. 13 of these crashes were related to motorists being unable to make a safe right turn from Newnham Road into Wecker Road due to high volumes of traffic on Newnham Road.
The Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade is jointly funded by Brisbane City Council as part of the Better Roads for Brisbane program, and the Australian Government as part of the Urban Congestion Fund.
The project forms part of a joint $500 million commitment to deliver congestion-busting projects and safety improvements across Brisbane.
Council is committed to improving safety, reducing congestion and improving access across the city. This is through a network-wide focus on traffic improvements to meet current and future traffic volumes throughout Brisbane’s road network.
The project has been designed to:
- improve safety for all road users
- reduce traffic congestion and improve travel time reliability
- improve connectivity, particularly for pedestrians and cyclists.
Upgrading the intersection will involve:
- constructing a new right turn lane on Newnham Road (northbound) with a dedicated right turn arrow to fully control the right turn from Newnham Road into Wecker Road
- installing an additional right turn lane from Wecker Road into Newnham Road
- installing a signalised pedestrian crossing on the left turn slip lane on Newnham Road (southbound)
- improving footpaths, shared paths and pedestrian crossing facilities at the traffic lights
- coordinating the traffic lights at Newnham Road and Creek Road and Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersections.
As part of the project approximately 12 on-street parking spaces will be removed at the intersection as the peak period clearway will be replaced with full time no parking to comply with safety and design requirements.
Council has also identified approximately 13 trees which need to be removed in the area surrounding the intersection. Council is committed to minimising the impact on the environment and where possible will replant trees in the project extent and local area. This will be in accordance with Brisbane City Council’s policies and relevant legislative requirements. The project team will confirm landscaping details as the project progresses.
- Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade project newsletter and preliminary design - September 2020 (PDF - 500kb)
- Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade project newsletter and preliminary design - September 2020 (Word - 1.27Mb)
- Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade project plan - September 2020 (PDF - 2.82Mb)
- Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade project plan - September 2020 (Word - 1.4Mb)
- Late 2020 – detailed design
- Mid-2021– start of construction
- Early to mid-2022 – end of construction
Council's project team is committed to keeping the community informed and will continue to communicate any investigation works required to assist in finalising the project design.
Council understands that as part of taking action to ensure Brisbane is the best city to live in, there will be some disruption. The project team will keep you informed every step of the way to ensure you know when and how disruption may affect you.
If you would like more information about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- write to:
Newnham Road and Wecker Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.