Retirement and aged care incentives scheme
Brisbane is growing and changing, and in coming decades this will include an ageing population. In some parts of Brisbane in the future, many older people may struggle to find housing to suit their needs, so it’s important to plan now.
Brisbane City Council is implementing a number of initiatives to encourage new retirement living and aged care accommodation, especially in areas of demand, to provide choice for residents to remain within their local neighbourhood throughout their lifecycle.
Retirement and aged care amendments package
Council has amended Brisbane City Plan 2014 (City Plan) to offer a more streamlined approach to building, extending or upgrading aged care facilities and retirement facilities. This provides greater encouragement for new facilities in preferred locations, where they meet best-practice design requirements for new facilities.
Find out more about the Retirement and aged care amendments package.
In addition, Council is also undertaking initiatives including:
- giving greater consideration of ageing in the drafting of neighbourhood plans
- an incentive to reduce the cost of infrastructure charges levied on qualifying aged care and retirement facility developments to encourage more supply
- improving and streamlining development assessment processes for aged care facilities.
- Planning for the future of aged care fact sheet (PDF - 153kb)
- Planning for the future of aged care fact sheet (Word - 116kb)
What this means for you
With the need for retirement and aged care housing options increasing by 50% by 2027, these initiatives will ensure we increase the supply of suitable housing and enable Brisbane residents to retire within their suburb and community.
These initiatives will not only ensure adequate retirement and aged care facilities are available across Brisbane, but they will prioritise best-practice design and encourage facilities integrated with their local communities and other uses, such as community facilities. Together, every suburb has a part to play to ensure we meet the needs of Brisbane's ageing population.
For further information, or to submit comments you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the Strategic Planning team.