Brighton Foreshore concept plan project
Brisbane City Council is giving residents more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane by preparing a concept plan for the Brighton Foreshore Parklands.
This project is part of Council’s commitment to enhancing and maintaining more than 2180 parks across the city, which helps residents get outdoors and enjoying our city’s unique, sub-tropical lifestyle.
This table includes project summary information including address, ward, project outcomes and latest update.
|Flinders Parade, Brighton
|Develop a concept plan for Brighton Foreshore Parklands
|Draft concept plan released. Community engagement period for this plan has now closed.
About the project
Council is developing a concept plan for Brighton Foreshore that will propose improvements to the foreshore area that are resilient, protect the heritage values of the foreshore and meet the diverse needs of the community. The final concept plan will help Council to provide more opportunities for recreation, relaxing and meeting with family and friends in one of the many places that makes our city great.
Council is committed to protecting and improving our city’s natural areas while also promoting active, healthy lifestyles for residents.
Council acknowledges previous community feedback received about the foreshore parklands (from 2004 - 2010) which helped inform the delivery of the following works since 2011:
- Groyne/sand work at 19th Avenue Beach
- Decker Park upgrades including basketball court, dog off-leash area works, picnic facilities and playground equipment
- sand remediation works at Brighton Park
- new concrete footpath between 9th Avenue and 15th Avenue and Decker Park
- new pathway lighting.
The current focus on developing a concept plan for the Brighton Foreshore will allow Council to better understand the current needs of the community and prepare a plan that will better service the community into the future.
Council intends for the concept plan to focus on the linear esplanade section along Flinders Parade which hasn’t experienced recent works.
The parkland area that Council is considering for potential improvements includes land between the high tide water mark, generally designated by the seawall, and the Flinders Parade roadway. Works outside of this area are not in the scope for this plan.
Draft concept plan and community consultation
Preparation of the draft concept plan was shaped from input and ideas received from the community in early 2023 along with technical investigations and constraints of the focus area.
The draft concept plan proposes improvement works and options such as:
- widening the promenade pathway between 15th and 18th Avenue
- installing additional picnic areas and facilities
- installing coastal protection features
- improving access to the tidal flats
- increasing shade and seating
- providing interpretive information about the environment.
The draft concept plan proposes enhancement of the foreshore area without changing the relaxed and laid-back feel along this beautiful section of Brisbane’s shoreline.
Due to the considerable length of the foreshore focus area, the Brighton Foreshore draft concept plan is presented over four pages and includes key objectives and vision, and proposed features.
Council will consider community feedback along with further investigations to prepare the final concept plan.
You can download the draft plans below:
- Brighton Foreshore draft concept plan (PDF – 3Mb)
- Brighton Foreshore draft concept plan (Word – 2Mb).
Council has now closed the community consultation period for the draft concept plan. Thank you to everyone who attended our information kiosks and provided feedback. Your feedback will assist Council to finalise the concept plan which we plan to release later in 2024.
- February-March 2023 - Stage 1 community engagement to invite input and ideas from community about improvements to the foreshore parklands
- November 2023 - Release draft concept plan for community engagement
- 2024 - Planning for the future release of the final concept plan subject to design analysis, approvals and budget allocation.
If you would like to find out more about the project:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak with the Brighton Foreshore Concept Plan project team
- email the project team.