Active School Travel schools and results
The Active School Travel (AST) program offers Brisbane primary schools a suite of free resources, tools and incentives. The program encourages students, parents, carers and teachers to leave the car at home and actively travel to school. Since 2004, 168 schools and more than 127,000 students have participated in the Active School Travel (AST) program.
In 2020 our AST schools achieved the following results:
- 18,000 students from 37 schools engaged with the program
- 2 in 5 families left the car at home
- on average, 40% of students actively travelled, with some schools reporting up to 70% of their students actively travelling to school
- walking trips increased from 14% to 32%, which equates to almost 4500 more walking trips per week from students in the first year of the program.
Despite the interruptions that the COVID-19 pandemic had on schools, the AST program was still able to deliver the following achievements in 2021:
- Schools consistency achieved over 60% active travel on a regular basis.
- 245 kids attended bike skills sessions and 379 attended scooter skills sessions.
- 83% of parents felt their child’s road safety knowledge improved since being in the AST program.
- Approximately 90% of AST committee members agreed that the AST program helped to increase student physical activity levels and foster community cohesion at their school.
Current AST schools
Brisbane City Council is currently working with the following AST schools over a three-year period*.
- Aspley East State School
- Aspley State School
- Brisbane Central State School
- Craigslea State School, Chermside West
- Greenslopes State School
- Grovely State School, Keperra
- Holy Family School, Indooroopilly
- Manly State School
- Milton State School
- Morningside State School
- New Farm State School
- Our Lady of the Assumption, Enoggera
- Wondall Heights State School, Manly West
- Bardon State School
- Dutton Park State School
- Eagle Junction State School, Clayfield
- Holland Park State School
- Ithaca Creek State School, Bardon
- Our Lady of Dolours School, Mitchelton
- Our Lady of Lourdes School, Sunnybank
- Seven Hills State School
- St Joseph's School, Bracken Ridge
- St Stephen's School, Algester
- Sunnybank State School
- Wisdom College, Calamvale
- Wishart State School
- Acacia Ridge State School
- Christ the King Primary School, Graceville
- Darra State School
- Islamic College of Brisbane, Karawatha
- Junction Park State School, Annerley
- Newmarket State School
- Sacred Heart Primary School, Sandgate
- Sherwood State School
- St Anthony’s Primary School, Kedron
- Wooloowin State School
- Yeronga State School
*Due to the impacts of COVID-19 on schooling, all schools already on the program as of November 2020 were extended by 12 months to help schools realise the benefits of the program.
For more information about the AST program: