Safe roads around schools
Brisbane City Council supports a number of initiatives to provide infrastructure to protect our children and school communities and encourage safety on the roads around our schools. Learn about Council’s Enhanced School Zone Signage program, the Safe School Travel Infrastructure program and funding opportunities, the Traffic Management Plan Improvements and the Queensland Government’s crossing supervisor scheme.
Enhanced School Zone Signage program
Council’s Enhanced School Zone Signage program aims to improve road safety around schools located on multi-lane roads.
School zones on multi-lane roads consist of two treatments:
- enhanced or flashing school zone signage
- pavement thresholds (red painted boxes with 'school zone' in white text).
The treatments aim to improve safety for children travelling to and from school and are specifically designed to raise awareness of reduced speed limits in school zones at peak school times.
The following seven schools will receive signage during the 2019-20 financial year:
- Australian International Islamic College - Blunder Road, Durack
- Brisbane Central State School - St Pauls Terrace, Spring Hill
- Clayfield College - Sandgate Road, Clayfield
- Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School - Mains Road, Sunnybank
- St Ambrose's Primary School - Enoggera Road, Newmarket
- St Joseph's College - Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill
- Wooloowin State School - Gympie Road, Wooloowin.
Between 1 July 2015 and 30 June 2019, Council installed Enhanced School Zone Signage at the following 49 schools:
- All Hallows' School - Ann Street, Brisbane City
- Ashgrove State School – Glory Street, Ashgrove
- Belmont State School - Old Cleveland Road, Belmont
- Brisbane Bayside State College - Wynnum Road, Wynnum
- Brisbane Boys College – Moggill Road, Toowong
- Brisbane Girls Grammar School – Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill
- Brisbane Grammar School – Gregory Terrace, Brisbane City
- Brisbane State High School - Cordelia Street, Vulture Street, Merivale Street and Gladstone Road and Ernest Street, South Brisbane
- Camp Hill State Infants and Primary School – Old Cleveland Road, Camp Hill
- Cannon Hill State School – Wynnum Road, Cannon Hill
- Cavendish Road State High School - Holland Road, Holland Park
- Clairvaux Mackillop College – Klumpp Road, Upper Mt Gravatt
- Coorparoo State School – Old Cleveland Road, Coorparoo
- Craigslea State High School – Maundrell Terrace, Chermside West
- Durack State School – Inala Avenue, Durack
- Dutton Park State School – Annerley Road, Dutton Park
- East Brisbane State School – Wellington Road, Stanley Street and Vulture Street, East Brisbane
- Forest Lake State High School – Forest Lake Boulevard, Forest Lake
- Greenslopes State School - Logan Road, Greenslopes
- Inala State School – Rosemary Street, Inala
- Indooroopilly State School – Moggill Road, Indooroopilly
- Macgregor State School – McCullough Street, Macgregor
- Mary Immaculate Catholic Primary School – Ipswich Road, Annerley
- Mitchelton Special School – Osborne Road, Mitchelton
- Moorooka State School – Beaudesert Road, Moorooka
- Moreton Bay College – Hargreaves Road and Kianawah Road, Manly West
- Mount Gravatt East State School – Newnham Road, Mount Gravatt East
- Mount Gravatt State School – Logan Road, Mount Gravatt
- Mt Maria College – Osborne Road, Mitchelton
- Newmarket State School – Enoggera Road, Newmarket
- Richlands East State School – Poinsettia Street, Inala
- Runcorn State School – Beenleigh Road and Mains Road, Sunnybank
- Sandgate State School – Rainbow Street, Sandgate
- Seton College – Cavendish Road, Mount Gravatt East
- St Agnes School – Logan Road, Mount Gravatt
- St Bernard's Catholic Primary School – Logan Road and Klumpp Road, Upper Mount Gravatt
- St Catherine's Catholic Primary School - Newnham Road, Wishart
- St Flannan's Catholic Primary School – Beams Road and Handford Road, Zillmere
- St James College – Boundary Street and Turbot Street, Spring Hill
- St Johns Anglican College Junior Campus – Forest Lake Boulevard, Forest Lake
- St Johns Anglican College Senior – Forest Lake Boulevard, Forest Lake
- St Mary of the Cross – Roblane Street, Windsor
- Stafford State School – Webster Road, Stafford
- Tingalpa State School – Wynnum Road, Tingalpa
- Upper Mount Gravatt State School – Logan Road, Upper Mount Gravatt
- Western Suburbs State Special School – Rosemary Street, Inala
- Windsor State School – Lutwyche Road, Windsor
- Wynnum West State School – Wynnum Road, Wynnum West
- Zillmere State School – Murphy Road, Zillmere.
For more information about Council’s Enhanced School Zone Signage program, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.
Safe School Travel Infrastructure program
The Safe School Travel Infrastructure program provides transport-related infrastructure to improve the safety of students travelling to and from school, and is funded on a 50/50 basis with the State Government (Department of Transport and Main Roads).
Funding is available for pedestrian and bicycle facilities (intersection improvements, refuge crossings, children’s crossings), and for bus and car facilities (bus zones and two-minute passenger loading zones).
How to apply for School Travel Infrastructure funding
School communities should contact their relevant State Government Road Safety Advisor to determine if a submission to the Safe School Travel Infrastructure Subsidy Scheme is appropriate.
The Traffic Management Plan Improvements program aims to improve the safety of students actively travelling to and from school to maximise and maintain the long term benefits of Council’s Active School Travel (AST) program.
The program provides infrastructure improvements, such as pedestrian refuge crossings, splitter islands, kerb ramps and footpaths, to make it safer and easier for students to walk, cycle or scooter to school.
Between 1 July 2009 and April 2019, Council has completed infrastructure improvements at 48 schools across Brisbane.
School Crossing Supervisor Scheme
The Department of Transport and Main Roads' School Crossing Supervisor Scheme aims to help children cross roads safely on their way to and from school.
Applications for a supervised crossing should be made by the school principal to the Department of Transport and Main Roads via:
- the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80
- your local Road Safety Advisor.