Moggill Road and Coonan Street intersection upgrade – Indooroopilly
Brisbane City Council has identified the Moggill Road and Coonan Street intersection at Indooroopilly as a location for a future upgrade to improve safety and reduce congestion.
|Address||Moggill Road and Coonan Street intersection, Indooroopilly|
|Project objectives||Improve safety and accessibility and reduce congestion|
Community consultation stage
Download the project documents in your preferred format:
About the project
Moggill Road and Coonan Street are two major arterial roads intersecting in a semi-controlled roundabout at Indooroopilly. The roads link Brisbane's outer west and south-western suburbs and the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD).
The intersection caters for high traffic volumes and experiences significant congestion in peak hour periods, with:
- 38,000 vehicles per day to the west of Moggill Road
- 47,000 vehicles per day to the east of Moggill Road
- 25,000 vehicles per day along Coonan Street.
Major queuing is experienced on approaches to the intersection, resulting in delays for all road users.
The intersection has a high crash history, with 32 recorded incidents between 2013-18, resulting in 10 hospitalisations and 17 requiring medical treatment.
The Moggill Road and Coonan Street corridors border commercial, retail and residential land area. The intersection also has limited pedestrian and active transport connectivity and accessibility.
The intersection will continue to provide a critical link to adjoining suburbs, the CBD and broader Brisbane for all transport modes, supporting commercial and residential development in the area.
Ensuring the intersection can cater for future traffic demands is critical, as well as providing safe and accessible transport options for all road users.
Council has developed two design options for the Moggill Road and Coonan Street intersection upgrade. Both options involve replacing the existing roundabout with a signalised intersection.
Both options provide significant safety improvements for all road users, with option B providing additional travel time benefits.
Bicycle lanes will be added to both sides of Moggill Road to improve safety and accessibility for cyclists. These will improve active transport options for residents in Brisbane's south-western suburbs, linking into the future Indooroopilly Riverwalk, and create opportunities for potential future active transport infrastructure in the broader cycling network.
The project will improve safety for all road users by removing all right-turn movements at the Keating Street and Coonan Street intersection.
Option B offers travel time benefits for road users, particularly people travelling along Moggill Road in the morning and afternoon peak periods. Morning commuters will save 43 seconds travelling inbound, and approximately 26 seconds in the afternoon peak outbound along Moggill Road.
Find out about options A and B.
Option A: T-intersection
Option A involves replacing the existing Indooroopilly roundabout with a signalised T-intersection. This option will enhance safety at the intersection for all road users, and improve pedestrian and cyclist access through the area. Under this option all traffic movements are signalised.
Option A design features include:
- two through lanes in each direction on Moggill Road
- two right-turn lanes and two left-turn lanes from Moggill Road into Coonan Street
- two right-turn lanes and two left-turn lanes from Coonan Street onto Moggill Road
- changing access at Keating Street and Coonan Street to left in, left out to improve safety and traffic flow on Coonan Street
- changes to left-turn movements at the Moggill Road intersections with Payne Street and Nelson Parade, along with the removal of right-turn movements at Nelson Parade
- providing new on-road bicycle lanes along Moggill Road, between Payne Street and Indooroopilly Shopping Centre
- providing additional sections of footpath through the project area.
Option B: Overpass
Option B involves replacing the existing Indooroopilly roundabout and installing an overpass for Coonan Street traffic, allowing Moggill Road through traffic to travel uninterrupted. This option will increase capacity and reduce congestion at the intersection for all road users and improve access for pedestrians and cyclists.
Option B design features include:
- constructing a new road bridge, taking Coonan Street over Moggill Road to allow through traffic on Moggill Road to flow freely
- upgrading the existing service road to connect the Coonan Street bridge with Moggill Road
- changing access at Keating Street to left in, left out, to improve safety and traffic flow on Moggill Road
- changes to left-turn movements at the Moggill Road intersections with Payne Street, Nelson Parade and Stamford Road, along with the removal of the right-turn movement at Nelson Parade
- providing new on-road bicycles along Moggill Road, between Payne Street and Indooroopilly Shopping Centre
- providing sections of footpath through the project area.
Tree removals will be required to facilitate the upgrade, these details will be confirmed as design progresses. Any vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council’s policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Walter Taylor Bridge
Located less than one kilometre south of the intersection, the Walter Taylor Bridge is a heritage-listed bridge crossing the Brisbane River between Indooroopilly and Chelmer.
The bridge carries approximately 34,000 vehicles per day and will service the local area for another 50-80 years with Council's continued investment to keep it safe and operational.
Since 2015, Council has invested approximately $4.3 million towards the maintenance of the bridge including regular inspections, painting, anchorage improvements and footpath barrier works.
As part of the Moggill Road and Coonan Street intersection upgrade, Council's proposed option B will save time for inbound traffic on Coonan Street in the morning peak, improving traffic flow from Walter Taylor Bridge.
Have your say
Council is inviting the community to provide feedback on two design options at community information sessions. These sessions will allow community members to provide feedback and talk about the upgrade in-person with the project team.
Two community consultation sessions will be held in the Indooroopilly Shopping Centre, on Level 3, in the Food Court, on the following dates:
- Saturday 14 September, from 9-11am
- Thursday 19 September, from 6-8pm.
These sessions will allow community members to provide valuable insights into the local road network.
You can also provide feedback by:
- phoning the free-call information line on 1800 010 705 during business hours
- emailing the project team.
Following community feedback, the business case for this upgrade will be finalised and released to the public.
If you have any questions or would like further information about the project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 010 705 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Moggill Road and Coonan Street intersection upgrade
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.