Tertiary work experience
Brisbane City Council provides unpaid work experience opportunities for Brisbane-based domestic and international tertiary students.
Students are placed for up to 30 days each calendar year (or longer if it is a mandatory and assessable component of their study).
Suitable project work is identified and students are 'matched' to the relevant skills and knowledge required for the placement.
We offer work experience in various disciplines, including (but not limited to):
- event management
- human resources
- information technology
- law and governance
- marketing and communications
- town planning
To apply for tertiary work experience with Council, you must:
- be enrolled in a tertiary program at a recognised, Australian, degree-granting institution
- have personal accident insurance and public liability insurance coverage provided by your tertiary institution
- have a visa/work rights that allow this type of activity (if applicable).
How to apply
All opportunities are advertised on career noticeboards at tertiary institutions. If you have queries about advertised opportunities, contact the listed person.
You may also apply for tertiary work experience opportunities that are advertised on Council's careers page.
When submitting your application, include a cover letter that details:
- your course title and current year of study
- your availability, including days you're available and total placement hours or number of days required for your tertiary program (e.g. 50 hours)
- whether you're seeking a general work experience or work integrated learning placement
- preferred dates of placement (if any)
- whether there are specific course requirements that need to be covered during placement
- what you hope to learn during placement.
Attach your resume to your cover letter. It should outline any transferrable skills from relevant work experience and tertiary/community/volunteer projects you've been involved in that could help support your application.
For more information about tertiary work experience with Council:
- email our Employment Pathways team
- Council on 07 3403 8888.