Cultivating Community Garden’s Grants Budget Tips
A budget is required to support your application for the Cultivating Community Gardens Grant. Read the budget tips and review the budget table example on this page to assist you with developing the project budget.
Funding can be applied for, between $1,000 and $2,500 excluding GST.
- Make sure your total project income equals your total expenditure. Income can include financial and in-kind. Expenditure can include payments, but also in-kind expenses such as volunteer labour.
- Volunteer staff can be costed from $35 per hour for non-skilled labour and at the relevant rates for professionals.
- Provide one recent quote for each expense under $1000 and a minimum of two recent quotes for each expense over $1000 (a recent quote: under 90 days).
- Ensure you are familiar with the guidelines, and what is eligible for funding.
Please note that for the purpose of assessment:
- All budget figures provided must be GST exclusive, i.e. deduct GST from quotes and invoices.
- If your organisation is not GST registered, 10% GST will be added to your grant as an itemised GST gross-up.
Cultivating Community Gardens - Budget table (example only)
|Income (source of funding)||Amount (ex GST)|
|Brisbane City Council Community Gardens Grant||$|
|Organisation's financial contribution to the project||$|
|Organisation's in-kind contribution to the project||$|
|Other grants/donations or funding||$|
|Project expenditure (description)||Amount (ex GST)|
|Raised Garden Beds x __ number @ $ each||$|
|Vegetable seedlings x __ number @ $ each||$|
|Citrus trees x ___ number @ $___ each||$|
|Stakes x ___ number @ $___ each||$|
|Weed mat x __ mtrs @ $___ p/mtr||$|
|Mulch x __ mtrs @ $.... p/mtr||$|
|Fertilisers/type x___ number @ $___ each||$|
|Tools: shears, pruning knife, weeder, hand-forks x ___ number @$__ each Rakes x ___ number @ $__ each Spades x ___ number @ $___each||$|
|Irrigation (part payment)||$|
Quotes are not required for basic hand tools or food garden seedlings, but a breakdown of costs will enable the assessor to see intended purchases and can gauge if costs provided are reasonable.
Quotes are required for other items and two recent quotes are required for items over $1,000.
An internet screen capture can be used if it's from a registered business. Quotes from short-term sellers are not acceptable (e.g. ebay, Gumtree etc).
- Ensure all income and expenditure totals match
- It is helpful for the assessor to group all the items being funded by Council in the top section of the budget table, then list other income against the relevant items it will cover for the project.