Barr Street Park creek crossing upgrade – Tarragindi
Brisbane City Council improved and replaced the pedestrian bridge in Barr Street Park with a new three-metre-wide bridge to improve the connection between Barr Street and Sunshine Avenue.
|Barr Street Park, Tarragindi
|Improve connectivity and safety for people walking and riding
About the project
The Barr Street Park bridge is an important connection in the local active transport network, connecting the Southeast Freeway Bikeway with Shaftesbury Street Park, Tarragindi Recreation Reserve and the broader south-east network.
Upgrading the existing narrow, wooden bridge has improved connectivity for people walking and riding through the area, including for locals on either side of the creek and the broader Tarragindi community.
This location was identified for upgrade following regular maintenance as part of the Bridges and Culverts Reconstruction and Rehabilitation program. The upgrade has also catered for the increased volumes of people walking and riding over the crossing.
In line with our flood resilience action plan, the new bridge is designed at a higher level to improve flood resilience and ensure our assets are stronger and prepared for future severe weather events.
This project was jointly funded by the Australian Government’s Roads to Recovery program and Brisbane City Council.
We replaced the existing pedestrian bridge in Barr Street Park with a new, wider bridge to improve the connection between Barr Street and Sunshine Avenue in Tarragindi.
As part of these works we:
- constructed and installed a new three-metre-wide cyclist and pedestrian bridge across the waterway in Barr Street Park, approximately five metres north of the current bridge
- constructed a new raised three-metre-wide share path, from Barr Street and Sunshine Avenue
- constructed a stone retaining wall to stabilise the slope on either side of the new path
- installed new LED lighting along the new path
- completed top soiling and landscaping in the surrounding area
- removed the existing 1.35-metre-wide wooden bridge.
Construction commenced in June 2023 and was completed in December 2023.
If you would like to find out more about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team