Catering business

If you want to operate a catering business, you will need a food business licence from Brisbane City Council. A food business is defined as catering when you prepare and serve the food to the customer either onsite or at an off-site venue. Simply delivering food to customers is not considered catering as it does not involve serving.

If you are planning to sublease an existing licensed kitchen for catering, you still need to apply and hold a separate food business licence for your business.

Onsite catering

Onsite catering refers to preparing and serving food that has the potential to be hazardous to consumers at the premises where the food business is carried out. Usually the food is:

  • of an agreed type
  • for a set number of persons
  • served at a prearranged time
  • for a predetermined cost.

Examples of onsite catering include a:

  • wedding reception centre that operates for wedding receptions only and is not open as a restaurant during the week
  • hotel which operates a restaurant where customers can order off the menu, but also has a function room where the hotel caters for events and functions.

Onsite catering usually requires a food safety program to be developed and accredited by Council. An exemption for the requirement to hold a food safety program exists where onsite catering is not the primary activity of the business. You are not required to submit a food safety program for accreditation where onsite catering is the secondary activity and you provide onsite catering:

  • on not more than 11 occasions in any 12 month period, and
  • for fewer than 200 persons on each occasion.

Onsite catering does not include:

  • preparing and serving food at a restaurant, cafe or similar food business that involves the preparation and service of food for customers that order and eat it straight away
  • preparing and displaying the food for self-service, for example preparing food for consumption from a buffet at a restaurant.

Offsite catering

Offsite catering refers to a business serving food that has the potential to be hazardous, at a place other than the principal place of operation for the food business. If the caterer is an offsite caterer, they would need to be licensed with the local council at the principal place of business.

For example, a spit roast caterer stores their equipment and conducts food preparation from a food business in Logan City Council area prior to a function. The caterer then conducts a catering function in the Brisbane City Council area, where all they do is heat and serve the food. As the principal place of business is located in Logan City Council's area, the food business would need to be licensed with Logan City Council.

Offsite catering does not include:

  • delivering food under an arrangement with, or on the order of, a consumer, for example, delivering pizzas from a takeaway pizza shop or delivering platters of food for a morning tea
  • the sale of food from mobile premises or temporary premises, e.g. the sale of ice cream from a mobile ice cream van.

If you are transporting food, you must advise Council of all the food transport vehicles involved in the catering operation.

All offsite caterers require a food safety program to be accredited by the local government area that approves their food business licence.


As a general guide for new catering premises, the following fees may apply for the 2022-23 financial year.

Size of premises Food licence Food safety program
Less than 250 square metres $859.50 $731.15
250 square metres to 1000 square metres $1174 $836.75
More than 1000 square metres $3668.70 $1294.10

These fees do not attract GST.

How to apply

Before submitting an application, review helpful hints about preparing an application and common application problems to avoid.

Council has developed a food business checklist (Word - 110kb) to assist in considering approvals that may be required to start and operate a food business in a fixed location.

Submit your application using the Application for food business approvals online form.

Council has introduced a free advisory service for new and existing businesses. Contact Council for more information. The advisory service allows you to speak with one of Council’s Environment Health Officers to provide advice on meeting the requirements of the food safety standards and ensure any future application is properly made. To book a meeting, please apply by contacting Council’s Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).

Food business licence assessment

Application for food business licence

Submit your application using the Application for food business approvals online form.

Before you can start operating, an Environmental Health Officer will conduct a final site inspection.

The food business licence will be issued when the completed fit-out has been approved.

Food safety program accreditation

If a food safety program is required for your catering business, it should be submitted for Council accreditation at the same time as the food business licence application.

Use the Application for food business approvals online form to apply for the food safety program accreditation at the same time as you lodge your food business licence application.

Find out more about food safety programs.

Food safety supervisor notification application

All licensable food businesses in Queensland must have a food safety supervisor. You can nominate this person when you make you licence application using the Application for food business approvals online form or submit a hard copy form.

Alternatively, you can nominate a food safety supervisor by phoning Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) within 30 days of the licence issue date.

Find out more about food safety supervisors.

Preparing for Council inspection

Council's Environmental Health Officer will conduct a final inspection of the food premises before you start trading. This inspection ensures the food premises is suitable and that construction is in accordance with the Food Safety Standards. To arrange your final inspection, contact Council approximately one week before construction is due to finish.

To limit delays, use the New Food Business Final Inspection Checklist or the Taking Over an Existing Business Inspection Checklist to confirm that essential works are complete before the date of your final inspection.

Application assessment

Prior to the food business licence being issued, Council will conduct a full Eat Safe audit of the premises. 

More information

The Local Government Toolbox provides helpful tools and resources.

You may also require planning approvals for restaurants and home business.

For more information, email the Business Hotline team or call 133 BNE (133 263).

Last updated: 25 July 2022

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.