Cat and dog permits
Brisbane City Council regulates the keeping of cats and dogs under the Animals Local Law 2003 and the Animals Subordinate Local Law 2003.
When you need a permit
You will need a permit if you:
- keep cats and/or dogs to breed, sell, show or race (one accidental litter is allowed provided the pups are not kept past the age of three months)
- operate a commercial cattery
- keep three to four domestic dogs (all dogs must be desexed)
- keep four to ten domestic cats
The keeping of guard dogs requires a separate permit.
Note: you can keep up to two dogs without a permit as long as they are registered with Council.
Payment of fees will be required when you lodge your application to Brisbane City Council.
|Annual Permit fee||$166.90|
Note: Initial application fee includes first year's permit fee. If application is unsuccessful the annual permit fee will be refunded. GST does not apply to these fees.
How to apply
- Registration for dogs
If your application relates to dogs, they first need to be registered. Discounted registration fees apply to some categories of breeders and owners.
- Planning Approval
Planning approval may be required depending on the location and activity. If you need planning approval, you must obtain it before you complete your application for a Cats and/or Dogs permit.
- Permit Application
You can download the application form and conditions:
- Animal permit application (PDF - 78kb)
- Animal permit application conditions - breeder, show or boarding (PDF - 41kb)
- Animal permit application conditions - domestic dog (PDF - 38kb)
You can lodge your application by:
- visiting Council
- mailing the form and cheque payment to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001
After approval has been given, you will receive a permit renewal notice every 12 months. Find out more about dog registration renewals.
Other requirements to consider
From May 2017, the Queensland Government requires that any person that breeds, sells or gives away dogs must be registered on their state-wide breeder register.
To surrender a permit to keep a cat and/or dog, complete the Licence or Permit surrender application online form.
For further information, phone Council on 07 3403 8888, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.