Cat and dog permits
Brisbane City Council regulates the keeping of cats and dogs under the Animals Local Law 2017.
When you need a permit
You will need a permit if you keep more than:
- three cats
- two dogs with no more than four (over the age of three months), unless you are a breeder
If you have two dogs registeredwith Council, you do not need a permit.
When Council would not ordinarily grant a permit
Council would not ordinarily grant a cat or dog permit under the following circumstances if:
- the animal lives on the premise that is not a single detached dwelling (e.g. a unit or townhouse)
- the animal lives on the premise that is less than 400m²
- you were not permitted to hold a similar cat or dog permit from another local government; and
- the keeper is not a breeder and the cats/dogs that make up the permit application have not been desexed.
Queensland Government law states any person who breeds, sells or gives away dogs must be on the state-wide breeder register. A dog breeder must provide the supply number that identifies them as a breeder to Council.
The following fees are required when you lodge your application to Council:
- application fee is $279.70
- annual permit fee is $171.05.
The initial application fee includes the first year's permit fee. Council will refund the annual permit fee for unsuccessful applications. GST does not apply to these fees.
How to apply
Registration for dogs
You may require development approval depending on the location and activity (e.g. a home based business or animal keeping). If the keeping of the animals is authorised under a development approval issued by Council, you will not require a permit under the Animals Local Law 2017.
Complete the animal permit application (PDF - 65kb) form. You can lodge your application by:
- mailing the form and cheque payment to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001
- visiting Council
Council will contact you within 20 working days to arrange an inspection.
After approval, you will receive a permit renewal notice every 12 months.
Other requirements to consider
To surrender a permit to keep a cat and/or dog, complete the licence or permit surrender application online form.
For further information, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 or the Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).