Cat and dog permits
Brisbane City Council regulates the keeping of cats and dogs under the Animals Local Law 2003 and the Animals Subordinate Local Law 2003.
When you need a permit
You will need a permit if you:
- keep cats and/or dogs to breed, sell, show or race (one accidental litter is allowed provided the pups are not kept past the age of three months)
- operate a commercial cattery
- keep three to four domestic dogs (all dogs must be desexed)
- keep four to ten domestic cats
The keeping of guard dogs requires a separate permit.
Note: you can keep up to two dogs without a permit as long as they are registered with Council.
Payment of fees will be required when you lodge your application to Brisbane City Council.
|Annual Permit fee||$163|
Note: Initial application fee includes first year's permit fee. If application is unsuccessful the annual permit fee will be refunded. GST does not apply to these fees.
How to apply
- Registration for dogs
If your application relates to dogs, they first need to be registered. Discounted registration fees apply to some categories of breeders and owners.
- Planning Approval
Planning approval may be required depending on the location and activity. If you need planning approval, you must obtain it before you complete your application for a Cats and/or Dogs permit.
- Permit Application
You can download the application form and conditions:
- Animal permit application (PDF - 78kb)
- Animal permit application conditions - breeder, show or boarding (PDF - 41kb)
- Animal permit application conditions - domestic dog (PDF - 38kb)
You can lodge your application by:
- visiting Council
- mailing the form and cheque payment to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001
After approval has been given, you will receive a permit renewal notice every 12 months. Find out more about dog registration renewals.
Other requirements to consider
To surrender a permit to keep a cat and/or dog, complete the Licence or Permit surrender application online form.
For further information phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.