There are plenty of advantages to embracing a unique or intimate wedding or special event. Take the chance to splurge on what you really value (hello, gourmet cheese and grazing platters from local catering businesses) and skip the parts that create the most stress (including not having to invite your long-lost second cousin once removed).
If you’ve got the love,and a guest list of your nearest and dearest, Council has perfect uniquely-Brisbane venues for small, special and stylish socially-distanced events for all occasions. From venues with a view to riverside settings and spaces for celebrating on a budget – we’ve got you covered with this list of best local venues for events.
Best for family celebrations
For golden anniversaries, family reunions, or to celebrate milestone birthdays, our community halls make for versatile venues with on-site kitchen facilities and plenty of space for kids to run around. View photos and take a virtual tour to find the hall that's right for your celebration.
Want more family-friendly inspiration for your next event? You might like to consider these local spots.
- Kick up your heels at Victoria Park on the city's fringe. Take your pick from eight award-winning venue options – all with Insta-worthy city and parkland views. There's also plenty of function options at St Lucia Golf Links.
- Book one of three designated booking sites at Rocks Riverside Park - the Entrance, Green or River sites.
- Sing 'Happy birthday' with a BYO picnic at South Bank Parklands. For celebrations with kids, set up near a playground. For adult celebrations, take in the views from River Quay Green or Riverside Green as you raise a toast.
Best for a garden party
With three lawns to hire, the Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha's lush surroundings make for a stunning backdrop for weddings of any size. Couples can take advantage of a new picture-perfect location to say "I do" at the Palm Tree Lawn in the heart of the gardens. With a few enhancements including wooden seating, this venue is ready to play a part in the love stories of Brisbane couples. Watch our video of the Palm Tree Lawn.
If you'd prefer to be in the city, our City Botanic Gardens have several spaces for weddings including the Rainforest Hideaway and the stunning Fig Tree Avenue Lawn. You could also consider The Gardens Club for your special day - this venue is an initiative of the Wise Foundation.
Best for weddings with a view
Many a blushing bride has Brisbane Powerhouse at the top of her Pinterest venue board and with good reason. This modern and eclectic space offers river and city views, uniquely urban spaces, as well as a garden lawn that welcomes your beloved pooch as ring bearer. Pick an early afternoon walk down the aisle to make the most of the lighting.
And that's not the only spot for a picture-perfect wedding or celebration. If you want views, check out these options.
- With the iconic Story Bridge and city as backdrop, Howard Smith Wharves has a range of event venues. You might also like to consider designated sites for park bookings at Kangaroo Point - Captain Burke Park or Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park - River Terrace or Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park - Lower River Terrace.
- Start your new life together in the heritage-listed Brisbane City Hall in the heart of Brisbane City. With vaulted ceilings, chandeliers and marble staircase, this is a sophisticated venue with historic charm.
- Charter your own Brisbane City Council CityCat for unmatched river views for your special occasion. Enjoy the best of Brisbane's skyline and riverside scenery between The University of Queensland, St Lucia and Northshore Hamilton with exclusive use of your own private floating venue.
Best for an alfresco celebration
Brisbane's sunny disposition makes our parks the perfect venue for outdoor celebrations.
We are spoiled for choice with more than 2100 parks across the city, including parks with stunning cityscape views at Kangaroo Point, the iconic rotunda and rose garden at New Farm Park and the whimsical forest groves of Sherwood Arboretum. There's sure to be a park that's your perfect match! Find out more about making a park booking online.
Want even more outdoor ideas, but don't want to book? Here are some ideas.
- Blow out your birthday candles with 260-degree views of Brisbane's skyline (and see as far as Moreton Bay and the Glasshouse Mountains on a clear day) with an intimate picnic at Mount Gravatt Lookout.
- If your little one is a summer baby, make the most of our aqua parks and water play areas for birthday celebrations that will make a splash.
Save the date
Declare your love, safely
As facilities and services reopen and we can raise a toast with our loved ones in some of our city’s favourite venues, let’s stay safe by following social distancing and hygiene guidelines. Check out our updates detailing how Council services and facilities are operating in line with Queensland Health and the Australian Government guidelines.