Bay Terrace and Chestnut Street black spot project – Wynnum
We have upgrated the Bay Terrace and Chestnut Street intersection in Wynnum, as part of the Australian Government’s 2023-24 Black Spot Program, to improve safety for all road users.
|Address||Bay Terrace and Chestnut Street, Wynnum|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety for all road users|
End of construction
Download the project plan and newsletter:
About the project
The Australian Government Black Spot Program is part of the National Road Safety Strategy, which aims to improve road safety and reduce the risk of crashes, by implementing upgrade measures at each black spot location.
Between 2016 and 2023, there were six recorded crashes at the Bay Terrace and Chestnut Street intersection, all of which resulted in medical treatment or hospitalisation. All six reported accidents involved vehicles turning from Chestnut Street into Bay Terrace and colliding with oncoming traffic due to restricted sightline distance.
The project has enhanced safety and improved sightlines by bringing forward the Give Way line marking on Chestnut Street and removing four parking spaces on Bay Terrace. Pedestrian safety has been improved with new refuge islands and extending the kerb build outs on Chestnut Street to reduce the crossing distance, delineate turning movements with slower speeds and improve visibility of pedestrians.
This project was fully funded by the Australian Government through the 2023–24 Black Spot Program.
- Improved safety for people walking, riding and driving through the intersection by promoting slower speeds and increasing driver awareness.
- Enhanced pedestrian access and connectivity by providing refuge islands to reduce the crossing distance on Chestnut Street.
- Increased sightline distance for motorists approaching the intersection with new line marking and kerb build outs.
Below is a summary of the project works.
- Increased the kerb area, bringing forward the give way line and coloured road markings on Chestnut Street, both approaches to Bay Terrace, to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians and improve sightline distance for motorists.
- Installed pedestrian refuge islands on Chestnut Street, both approaches to Bay Terrace, to formalise driving paths, address corner cutting and enhance pedestrian safety and visibility when crossing.
- Removed four carpark bays and relocated the accessible carpark space along Bay Terrace to increase sightline distance for motorists to meet current standards.
- Upgraded kerb ramps and sections of footpath to enhance access for people of all ages and abilities.
- Installed new signage, landscaping and line marking.
- Project introduction – early July 2023.
- Start of construction – early August 2023.
- End of construction – mid-October 2023.
If you have any questions about theBay Terrace and Chestnut Street black spot project, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 669 416 (during business hours)
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- write to:
- Bay Terrace and Chestnut Street black spot project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434