Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection upgrade - Woolloongabba
We are upgrading the Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection in Woolloongabba to enhance the operation of the intersection and improve safety for people walking, riding and driving through the area.
|Address||Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection, Woolloongabba|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety and traffic flow through the intersection|
Start of construction
About the project
Brisbane City Council has identified a need for safety improvements at the Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection in Woolloongabba. This upgrade will allow traffic to move more efficiently through the intersection and enhance safety for all road users by upgrading the existing traffic signals and realigning the pedestrian crossing on Logan Road.
The intersection recorded 11 crashes between 2016 and 2023. Six of the 11 recorded crashes involved motorists turning right from Logan Road into Deshon Street, failing to give way and colliding with vehicles travelling south on Logan Road. High traffic volumes and extended wait times for motorists travelling along Logan Road are contributing to motorists misjudging safe gaps in traffic.
The Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection upgrade is jointly funded by the Australian Government Roads to Recovery program and Brisbane City Council.
- Improving motorist safety by controlling the right turn movement from Logan Road into Deshon Street with red and green turn arrows.
- Increasing capacity for the right turn movement from Logan Road into Deshon Street by extending the right turn pocket.
- Enhancing driver awareness on approach to the intersection by installing an additional traffic signal mast arm on Deshon Street.
- Improving safety and connectivity for people walking and riding by realigning the staggered pedestrian crossing on Logan Road.
Below is a summary of the works being undertaken as part of the project.
- Upgrading the existing traffic signals with red and green turn arrows, to fully control the right-turn movement from Logan Road into Deshon Street.
- Extending the length of the right turn pocket on Logan Road to increase capacity and safety for vehicles turning right.
- Installing an additional traffic signal mast arm on Deshon Street to increase awareness of motorists approaching the intersection.
- Realigning the staggered pedestrian crossing on Logan Road to a full crossing to enhance safety and improve pedestrian facilities.
- Installing a kerb build out with planting on the northern corner of Deshon Street to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians.
- Upgrading the footpaths and kerb ramps.
- Installing new road surface and line marking.
Construction is scheduled to commence Sunday 17 September 2023 and will be complete by December 2023, weather and site conditions permitting. The majority of works will occur at night between Sunday to Thursday, 7pm to 5am, when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of workers and road users and to reduce impact on the local road network. Some works may take place during the day between Monday and Friday, 7am to 5pm.
Our construction team will establish a small laydown area for materials and equipment on Lerna Street, 410 metres east of the intersection. Pedestrian and vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Project introduction – mid-August 2023
- Start of construction – mid-September 2023
- End of construction – December 2023
To register for regular updates or learn more about the Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection upgrade, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 669 416 (during business hours)
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside business hours)
- email the project team
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- write to:
Logan Road and Deshon Street intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.