Greywater application process

A licensed plumber is required to install greywater diversion devices and reuse facilities. The installation of a greywater diversion device is categorised as 'Minor work' under the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 and may be installed by a licensed plumber without approval.

For greywater reuse facilities, if the premises where the facility is proposed to be installed generates no more than 3 kiloliters (kL) of greywater per day, the work falls into the Notifiable work category.  In this situation the licensed plumber can perform the installation without Council approval by submitting a Form 4 to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

Where greater than 3kL of greywater is generated per day, an application must be submitted to Council for assessment and work cannot commence until a permit is granted.

Check land suitability

Before you submit an application you must check your property is suitable for greywater irrigation. Suitability depends on various land aspects as well as the amount of greywater your household generates. Greywater is untreated so care must be taken to avoid creating an environmental or health hazard due to run-off, ponding or entering waterways.

The Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code sets out the suitability criteria and requirements for greywater installations. Contact a suitable licensed installer to find out what the best option is for your premises.

Calculate your water volume

You must also work out if your property can cope with the volume of greywater generated by your household. To calculate your household's weekly estimate, use the formula from the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning.

Submit your greywater application

If you have checked your property's greywater suitability, and the water volume is greater than 3kL per day you must apply to Council with the following:

Allow 10 workings days for the assessment of the application for a properly made application.

Once you have received a permit from Council, a licensed plumber can proceed with the installation. Your plumber must arrange for Council to inspect the work.

More information

For further information on application requirements phone Council's Plumbing Services Group on 07 3403 8888.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.