Bridge Street sewer realignment - Fortitude Valley
As part of the stormwater drainage upgrade in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane City Council is realigning the sewer line in Bridge Street in Fortitude Valley. These works are in preparation for new stormwater drainage to be installed under Bridge Street in the future.
This project is part of Council’s commitment to ensuring our city has the services and infrastructure to meet the needs of future generations.
|Address||Bridge Street, between Ann and Wickham Streets, Fortitude Valley|
|Project outcomes||Realignment of the sewer line, in preparation for new stormwater drainage to be installed in Bridge Street in the future.|
|Latest update||Construction recommencing July 2023|
About the project
This project involves:
- excavating a large rectangular pit approximately 4.5 metres deep and lowering a tunnel boring machine (TBM) into it
- boring a tunnel 140 metres long, 605 millimetres in diameter, jacking heavy duty reinforced concrete pipes and installing a new 160 mm sewerage pipe within the tunnel
- constructing four new sewer manholes, three in Bridge Street and one in Wickham Street
- reconnecting the new sewer pipe to the adjacent businesses on Bridge Street
- connecting the new sewer pipe to the existing sewer main on Wickham Street.
Construction commenced in April 2021 and was expected to be completed in late-October 2021. However, after encountering high strength rock underground, and unable to tunnel, the project team confirmed that a, more powerful slurry flush TBM was required to continue tunnelling and install new sewer.
A more powerful TBM has been secured to complete the works, and it is anticipated that work will recommence in late July 2023.
Construction will take place between 7am and 5pm Monday to Saturday, from late July until early 2024, weather and construction conditions permitting.
While the work is being undertaken, there will be traffic impacts along Bridge Street. There will be no parking for the duration of the project, however, local businesses in the street will continue to have access to their driveways and workshops.
There will be some nightworks throughout the project, including an extended period towards the end of the works to connect the new sewer pipe to the existing sewer main under Wickham Street. Advanced notice will be provided ahead of night and any out of hours works.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we progress these important works to improve Fortitude Valley’s drainage capacity and meet the future needs of your area.
If you would like to ask questions, or find out more about the Fortitude Valley sewer realignment - Bridge Street project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Fortitude Valley sewer realignment – Bridge Street
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.