Entertainment permit | Brisbane City Council

Entertainment permit

If your event needs an Entertainment Event Permit, you will need to submit an application to Brisbane City Council a minimum of six weeks before the event.

When you need a permit

If the event is a fete or a similar school based event run by the school or P&C organisation, it may be eligible for a self-assessable school based event permit instead of the Entertainment Event Permit.

Otherwise, if your event is open to the public, it needs an Entertainment Event Permit if you expect to have more than 2,000 people attending over the duration of the event.  Events might include:

  • amusement rides
  • boxing or wrestling contest, display or exhibition
  • circus
  • school fetes or events that do not meet the requirements for a self-assessable school based event permit
  • fairs or festivals
  • live artist performances
  • live music or entertainment
  • music events using RNA showgrounds
  • sporting activities including motor racing conducted in venues other than those that have been approved for that purpose.

When no permit is needed

A permit is not required for:

  • private parties, functions or activities
  • one-off events, festivals or markets with 2,000 people or less attending over the duration of the event (however event operators still need to be aware of and comply with the requirements of Entertainment Venues and Events Local Law). You are encouraged to read and understand the requirements outlined on these pages.


The application fee for an event permit depends on the expected number of people attending the event.

Number of people attending Fee
2,001 - 10,000 $1,484.65
10,001 and greater $3,040.30

These fees do not attract GST.

For an amendment (alteration or expansion of the business activity) the fee is $405.60.

Charitable and religious organisations listed in the Schedule of fees and charges of Brisbane City Council's Budget for the 2018-19 financial year are eligible for a 50% fee reduction.

Not-for-profit organisations (including those that do not qualify for Council's Appendix A list), may be eligible to apply for a Type 2 Concession (PDF - 144kb) which provides a 50% remission on the event application fee post approval.

How to apply

  1. Application form
    Complete the Application for Event Approvals online form to apply for the key Council approvals you may need in relation to your event, including:
    • Entertainment Events Permit application (including the option to book a Council park for the event)
    • Temporary Lane/Road Closure Assessment Application - Special Events (including the option to apply for temporary use of the footway).

    Alternatively you can download a hardcopy of the Entertainment Events Permit Application (PDF - 122kb).

    You must submit the application form with the appropriate fees to Council a minimum of six weeks before the event. If the site plan, other approvals and supporting documents are not ready at the time it is important to still submit the application form and follow up with the attachments as they become available.

  2. Site plan
    Prepare a site plan to scale including the following details where applicable:
    • entry and exit points from the event and adjoining buildings
    • emergency services designated areas and access points
    • location and arrangement of noise sources
    • location and arrangement of light sources
    • location of restricted areas
    • method of proposed ventilation (for any indoor event)
    • location and number of bins and toilets
    • location of food and drinks stalls including potable water supply source.
  3. Other approvals
    Depending on the type of event and activities planned, there are a number of related event approvals required by Council and Queensland Government that you may need for your event. You will need to obtain approval for these activities, and email a copy to Council's Business Hotline.
  4. Supporting documents
    There are a number of supporting documents that must be provided for Council to fully assess your application. Submit as many as you can with your application form and site plan, and email the others to Council's Business Hotline as they become available closer to the event. Supporting documents that may be required include:

Note: if the relevant information is not provided before the event, the permit may not be issued.

More information

For more information, phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).

02 July 2018