Current bikeway and pathway projects
Through the Better Bikeways 4 Brisbane program, Brisbane City Council is investing $100 million over the next four years from July 2016. Brisbane’s network of bikeways improves access to local destinations and the CBD. Cycle paths and bikeways enhance Brisbane's environment, keep our community active and healthy and minimise traffic congestion. Use this page to find out about current bikeway and pathway projects.
Council’s investment of $220 million since 2008 has improved cycling networks across our city. You can find out about completed bikeway and pathway projects across Brisbane.
Before cycling in Brisbane, find out about temporary bikeway closures and detours that may affect your bike ride.
- Boardwalk Rehabilitation projects - four riverwalk locations to be rehabilitated
Enhancing the life of the structures and ensure that they remain safe and serviceable.
- Bicycle deflection rail removal strategy - popular bikeways and shared paths
Removing bicycle deflection rails ('banana bars') from bikeways and shared paths.
- Real-time bikeway counters - selected popular bikeways and shared paths
Displaying a live count of path users to track usage of the bikeway network.
- Brisbane City - Botanic Gardens Riverwalk project - Alice Street/Edward Street
Improving accessibility to the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD) and local destinations for all cyclists and pedestrians.
- South Brisbane - Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade: Stage one
Improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Spring Hill - Normanby Fiveways bikeway lighting project – North Brisbane Bikeway
Increasing safety and amenity for all pathway users.
- Aspley - North Brisbane Bikeway: Webster Road to Robinson Road West project
Creating a high quality, safe and connected recreation and commuter route and improving access to the local network and amenities.
- Kedron Brook - North Brisbane Bikeway - Price Street to Kedron Brook
Improving safety and connectivity for cyclists.
- Northgate - Elwyn Street Northgate Bridge replacement
Enhancing usability for pedestrians and cyclists with a widened crossing, provide a modern safe facility and reduce ongoing maintenance costs.
- Indooroopilly - Indooroopilly Bikeway (Radnor Street) investigation works
- Investigating works seeking to improve safety and connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Jindalee - Kangaloon Street Bridge upgrade
Informing design options for a potential future upgrade to the bridge to maintain pedestrian safety and improve accessibility.
- Taringa - Whitmore Street improvement project
Improving the overall amenity, safety, accessibility and identity for local residents and businesses.
- Wilston - Noble Street Bridge removal
Removing the Noble Street Bridge.
- Carindale - Meadowbank Street Park footbridge replacement
Enhancing usability for pedestrians and cyclists with a widened crossing, providing a modern safe facility and reduced ongoing maintenance costs.
- Wakerley - Kenrick Close Bridge replacement
Enhancing usability for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Wynnum - Moreton Bay Cycleway - Elanora Park, Wynnum to Export Street
- Improving accessibility and connectivity on the Moreton Bay Cycleway.
With an extensive network of bikeways and shared pathways and great bike-related events and facilities, Brisbane has some of the best cycle facilities in the country. Sign up for free to Cycling Brisbane to receive exclusive deals and discounts, project updates and much more. Cycling Brisbane also includes a heap of bike rides to try including casual, family and training rides.