Current bikeway and pathway projects
Brisbane City Council's active public transport projects improve our public transport, bikeways and shared bicycle and pedestrian pathways. Cycle paths and bikeways enhance Brisbane's environment and minimise traffic congestion. Use this page to find out about current bikeway and pathway projects. You can also find out about completed bikeway and pathway projects finished during 2016-17.
Before cycling in Brisbane, find out about temporary bikeway closures and detours that may affect your bike ride.
- Bikeways lighting upgrades - nine cycle paths across Brisbane
To increase bikeway safety and amenity for all users
- Bicycle deflection rail removal strategy - popular bikeways and shared paths
To remove bicycle deflection rails ('banana bars') from bikeways and shared paths
- Brisbane City - Alice Street bikeway investigation works
Improve accessibility to the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD) and local destinations for all cyclists.
- South Brisbane - Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade: stage one
Improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Stafford Heights - Downfall Creek Bikeway project
Improving safety and connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Indooroopilly - Indooroopilly Bikeway: stage one investigation works
The investigation works seeks to improve connections for cyclists and pedestrians along Radnor Street, Indooroopilly.
There are no current bikeway and pathway projects in the southern part of Brisbane.
- Woolloongabba and Coorparoo - CBD to Carindale commuter bikeway corridor
Completing a gap in the eastern commuter cycling network and provide a safe alternative route to Old Cleveland Road.
- Woolloongabba - Woolloongabba Bikeway project
This project aims to create a safer environment for all road users through delivery of dedicated cycle facilities.
With an extensive network of bikeways and shared pathways and great bike-related events and facilities, Brisbane has some of the best cycle facilities in the country. Sign up for free to Cycling Brisbane to receive exclusive deals and discounts, project updates and much more. Cycling Brisbane also includes a heap of bike rides to try including casual, family and training rides.