Waste Smart Kindy program
The Waste Smart Kindy program is an initiative for early learning centres and services in Brisbane. The program provides early learning educators with free professional development and offers early learning centres a chance to become a Waste Smart Kindy.
Becoming a Waste Smart Kindy
A Waste Smart Kindy is an early learning centre or service that has demonstrated a commitment to keeping Brisbane clean, green and sustainable by reducing their waste to landfill and increasing resource recovery.
Professional development for educators
Council's professional development course will provide early childhood educators with knowledge, skills and resources to support sustainable waste practices in day-to-day centre operations.
The course covers four key units:
Learn how to manage the waste at your centre more sustainably.
Find out what can be recycled and how to encourage recycling within your centre.
Set up and maintain a compost bin or worm farms with practical and easy tips from the experts.
Discover how to reduce food waste at your centre.
Each unit aligns with the Early Years Learning Framework and the National Quality Standards for early childhood and will include information, suggested activities and videos.
Educators can complete all units of the course at once, or complete units one at a time. We recommend starting with Unit one: Setting up a Waste Smart Kindy.
Educators, from centres based in the Brisbane City Council local government area, who successfully complete the course will receive a Waste Smart Kindy toolkit containing the following items.
- Certificate – as evidence of your professional development in waste minimisation.
- Sticker set – bin stickers for your rubbish, recycling and organics bins to help sort waste in your centre.
- Poster – guide to sorting rubbish poster for use in your kitchen to help staff and helpers correctly sort different waste items.
- Pop out – rubbish truck which is a model of the rubbish trucks on the streets of Brisbane.
- Fact sheets – handouts for families of your centre including Waste Smart Families and Waste Smart Lunches.