Renewing a lease or licence
Renewing a lease or full licence has five steps as outlined.
Organisations with leased properties need to fill out a lease renewal application form and a maintenance and development plan. Properties operating with a licence need to fill out a licence application form.
For both leases and licences, organisations must return the completed application forms along with copies of these documents:
- certificate of incorporation
- constitution (if it has changed)
- most recent audited financial statements
- certificate of currency for $20 million public liability insurance
- certificate of currency for building insurance (if applicable)
- current liquor/gaming licences (if applicable)
- maintenance and development plan (normally only applies to leases).
- Licence Application form - CC1016 (PDF - 69kb)
- Community Lease Renewal Application form - CC1040 (PDF - 80kb)
- Maintenance and Development Plan (Word - 195kb).
For help filling out an application, download the community facilities brochure for lease tenants and prospective tenants of Council properties and the Good Neighbours Guide.
For further advice on completing a lease or licence application phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak with the Community Facilities Operations Team or email email@example.com.
Leased properties only
Your maintenance and development plan must include the costs of normal maintenance works and how you plan to fund these works.
Also note on the form if your organisation is planning any development within the building or grounds over the period of your lease term and state if the proposed work will be subject to grants funding.
When you fill out your lease renewal application, review the terms and conditions of your existing lease. This includes the permitted operating hours and use of the premises. If you want to change any terms for the lease renewal, note this in your application.
The Community Facilities Operations Team will check your application to make sure it is completed correctly and includes all the supporting documents.
Once all documents are provided, we will assess the application. It will be shown to several people for comment, including your local Councillor, Council staff, and a financial analyst.
We may ask you to submit more information. This may include extra financial statements. For leased properties, this may include a more detailed breakdown of proposed work.
After fully assessing your application, the Community Facilities Operations Team will prepare a submission for approval.
If your application has been successful, the submission will recommend that your organisation’s lease or licence be renewed.
Council will then send your organisation an approval letter detailing the terms and conditions of the renewal.
If your organisation has any concerns about the terms and conditions of the approval, you should contact the Community Facilities Operations Team immediately.
After the renewal is approved, the submission will be forwarded to Council’s City Legal to prepare the formal lease/licence documents. You will be given contact details for the person who will be preparing your lease/licence.
City Legal will send the lease/licence documents to your organisation to execute. Your organisation will need to:
- Place the Common Seal of the association where indicated.
- Have two of the committee members of the association sign the document. The officers need to write the date of signing and print their full names in the spaces provided in the sealing clause. Other instructions will be forwarded with the lease documents.
For more information about taxes on leases or licences visit the Office of State Revenue.
Once your organisation has executed the documents, you need to return all of them to Council's City Legal. Your organisation will need to pay City Legal professional fees.
City Legal will arrange for Council to execute the documents. They will lodge the lease documents at the Department of Natural Resources and Mines for registration.
City Legal will send your organisation an executed, registered copy of your lease or licence. Keep this document in a safe place. Your current and future committees must be able to easily access your lease or licence document for reference or use at any time.
To apply for a seasonal licence your organisation needs to:
- have the organisation’s Certificate of Incorporation and Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance ready to upload
- complete the Seasonal Licence Application online form.
Please note the closing dates for each season:
- applications for the summer season (1 October - 31 March) close on 31 August
- applications for the winter season (1 April - 30 September) close on 28 February.
While Council will endeavour to meet your organisation’s request for usage, please note that receipt of your application by Council does not guarantee your request.
For further advice or assistance with renewing a lease or a licence phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the Community Facilities Operations Team or email firstname.lastname@example.org.