Change of details | Brisbane City Council

Change of details

It is important to keep your contact details up-to-date to receive your rates statements within the discount periods. A rate account and services establishment fee usually applies when the property title changes.

To change your contact details for email delivery of your rates notice (email address or mobile phone number for SMS) complete the Rates notice email delivery application online form.

Change of postal address

You can change your postal address details for your Brisbane City Council rate account by contacting Council.

Change of name

Marriage or deed poll

If you are a land-owner and you change your name by marriage or deed poll, Council needs a copy of the official certificate to change the rates ownership record.

You can get a copy of the certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.


If a company owns the property and changes the registered company name, Council will need a copy of the change of name certificate.

You can obtain a copy of this certificate from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.


When a property owner dies, Council will need to change the name on the rate account. This will also update the Queensland Urban Utilities water and sewerage account and any other properties the customer owns. A beneficiary requesting any applicable discounts or remissions on the property will need to reapply.

If you have joint tenancy ownership of a property and your partner dies, your partner's name can be deleted from the rate account after Council receives a copy of the death certificate.

This is not the case for 'tenants in common' ownership. Council must receive official notification from the Queensland Government before altering details because ownership doesn't necessarily revert to the surviving partner.

Changing ownership details

The current land-owner is responsible for the rates debt.

When properties are bought or sold the rates need to be adjusted to reflect the new ownership.

Council alters its land ownership records after receiving official notification from the Department of Environment and Resource Management.

Council can't accept change of ownership details from the new owner.

Rate account and services establishment fee

Brisbane City Council charges a rate account and services establishment fee when a property transfers ownership. Find out about this fee and when you can apply for an exemption.

18 October 2018